Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

making a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by [csp]fortyniner, Aug 29, 2004.

1. [csp]fortyniner

[csp]fortyniner

Aug 13, 2004
    ok well i'm planning on making a 6 string fretless bass i plan to make it look like a warwick thumb but add some things to it that make it look cooler and i was wondering if anyone can give me tips on what to do when it is done i'll post pics but it'll probly take a long tiome to do so ur gonna need to wait

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Good luck.. It's easier said than done. You need MANY tools.. Go over to the luthiers form to make a "checklist" of what to buy. Be prepaired to spend hundreds, or even thousands, of dollars on building equipment, wood, hardware, etc.

3. [csp]fortyniner

[csp]fortyniner

Aug 13, 2004
    it's gonna cost me about 700$ i already planned all hadware and stuff so i'm good to go and i have all the tools i need and so do alot of my freinds if i need them

4. Ok... I hate to say this, and I'm not trying to be rude, but you really, by way of your post, sound very naive to the whole process. Have you built before?

And 700 bucks for everything sounds a bit lowball... you making everything from scratch?

Measure thrice, cut once.

Good luck.

Ron

5. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Any questions you have I'm sure the good folks in the "Luthier's" forum can easily and eagerly answer for you. Might want to try this there.

6. [csp]fortyniner

[csp]fortyniner

Aug 13, 2004
    i ahev built before ive made many longboards before and i just wanna give this a shot i mean if it doesnt work i'll have some spare hardwar or just buy new wood wood is very cheap if you know were to get it and my dad know alot of guys that i can get stuff cheap so thts why it's a little cheap

7. Good luck! Let us know how it goes. I was thinking of making something that looked like a warwick a little while ago, but it so far hasn't progressed past the planning stage.

8. [csp]fortyniner

[csp]fortyniner

Aug 13, 2004
    i plan to start it after christmas so i'l post pics of the progress

9. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    How much does punctuation cost retail?