Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Making a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Greg Johnsen, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    Hi, can anyone direct me to a web site that is good for how to learn to make a bass? I am very eager about this because I want to try my hand at it, I know which woods I am going to use, but I need to know ow to put it all together and whatnot.

also, is it possible to use Ebony as a body top? I always thought it would look awesome.

Greg

2. justateenpoet

justateenpoet Have you...killed the Venture brothers!?!?

May 14, 2005
    Connecticut
    this site has a whole forum on luthiery and whatnot, and a bunch of people here have dabbled with making their own bass.

ebony would make a nice looking top, but as you might expect it would be:

1. Wicked expensive to find a piece big enough to make a top out of

and

2. Wicked heavy

3. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    hah, yah, but it can't be heavier and ogankol, and I can deal with the heavy weight, it's just I'd have to proactice standing up and have like an awesome very comfy strap.

and I've got money to spend.

Greg

4. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Ask a moderator to move this the "Luthier's Corner" here on TB. That's where you'll get your best info.

5. yep.. ill see ya there! ;)

6. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    As far as I know, you can use pretty much any wood you want for a top. Ebony would look rad, I was thinking about that too. I'm planning to make myself a bass too.
    One person I asked about this reccomended the Carl Thompson website (ctbasses.com, I think.) The interview section has a lot about how he works in a couple interviews. Be weary though, I don't think he takes the typical approach to luthering, so some things you might want to get second opinions on. Good luck and keep us posted!

7. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

I had a Fodera with an ebony top for a while. Beautiful. Anthony Wellington has it now. Its probably pictured on his site

Rob