making a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DaShiznit, Dec 19, 2002.

1. i came up with the nutty idea to make my next bass a few days back. but when i went to look around at musicians friend for around home much it would cost, it accured to me that i didnt know anything about the electronics or what else i need or to set up the electronics. i got the basics, body, neck, pickups, control knobs all that but i dont now what electronics i need.
  2. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    Try searching for the info you need, probably faster than waiting for somone to type it out for you. :)

Use either google or search
  3. Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    For more info check the Luthiers forum on this page(perhaps the proper place for this threaad?), and Musical Instrument Makers Forum especiallt theie archived topics. For additional components check out Warmoth Stewart MacDonald
    and Luthiers Mercantile
    There are a few others for more specialty parts, but those should get you started. Oh and besure to check out the thrift shop at Warmoth.
  4. Cort45

Mar 1, 2002
    US, TX, Austin
    i just finished making a bass so i can give you some advice. im geussing your planning on buying the body and neck so i would you suggest you check out thats where i got my neck and it came out really good. When your attaching the neck, clamp the neck onto the body and put some thread or somthing on it like you would bass strings and make sure its lined up then mark the holes. Thats probably the most difficult part. the pickups are easy to do if you can use a soldering iron. If you have any questions pm me.