1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Making a beauty out of a beast..

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by kydnav, Nov 2, 2006.

1. kydnav

kydnav

Jun 24, 2006
    Netherlands
    Or atleast, I hope so.
    After getting myself a fretless Dean (secondhand) I decided the paintjob was so bad I wanted it replaced. Getting it done by a shop would've costed me more than the bass originally was so now I'm trying it myself.

So yesterday I got the electronics out, got the neck off, etc.
    after 2 days of sanding I'm here:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (it was red before this and if you look carefully you'll see it was black before that.)

So tomorrow I'm going to work on sanding the sides and the white spots.
    But what's bothering me a bit is the pinkish 'lines'. If you look at the back picture you'll probably see what I mean. Will that just go away if I sand it a bit more or is that just going to stay?

Anyhow. I'm planning on making some pictures to follow my process so I'll probably just keep posting them here..

Anybody's got some extra stuff I should watch out for?

2. well I did that before: I had a J bass body that was given to me, it was bluish white, I wanted it natural. I used a paint stripper, let it sit on there for a few minutes, and scraped the paint off with a plastic scraper, that would have saved you 2 days of sanding. What you need to be careful is not to gouge the body with too coarse sandpaper, because these will show once you refinish , what color are you going for? if it is solid then it does not have to be perfect since you can fill the scrapes

3. MeYHymN

MeYHymN Habitual User

Nov 7, 2004
    Charleston, WV
    If your going to paint it, it shouldn't be a problem. I had a helluva time getting the black paint off so I could stain my BTB. The reason you have the pink lines is the sides of the grain draw in more paint/stain than the face of the grain. I would suggest using a primer/sealer before repainting. Even if the color is darker the red could possibly show through causing the top coat to be shaded differently than the other regions.

4. kydnav

kydnav

Jun 24, 2006
    Netherlands
    Well, I was thinking about keeping the wood color... But that doesn't match my neck at all.. So I'm thinking about making it the same color as the neck (quite grey-ish) and making some kind of symbol or something on it..

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    You need to do a LOT more sanding before you are ready to put a finish on that wood. You need to sand over all of those sanding scratches that don't follow the grain. ALWAYS sand with the grain whenever possible. You've got them going all sorts of directions.

6. kydnav

kydnav

Jun 24, 2006
    Netherlands
    Well, it's all done (for a while allready but I was too lazy to post anything :oops:

Well, it used to look like this...

Front with the primer
    Back with the primer
    Then there was the first coating
    Picture 1
    Different angle&lighting
    Then I taped what I wanted to keep red and sprayed it all metallic black
    here it is hanging in the sprayroom with the paint still wet
    When the paint was dry I took of the 'stickers' and got this result:
    Front
    Front 2
    Back
    After that the varnish (??) was put on and it came out like this (not that much of a difference but it makes the metallic of both colours stand out just that little bit more)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then it was put together and for some reason my electronics were busted so I decided to take it to a shop and get it fixed, a week later he sounded better than ever :cool:

Don't have any pictures of the entire bass put together though...

7. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    That's offensively nice. What kind of paint did you use!?

Eight Thumbs Up!

8. kydnav

kydnav

Jun 24, 2006
    Netherlands
    Thanks alot, I'm just glad it all turned out okay considering it was my first (and definitely not my last) attempt at redoing a bass :)
    Just regular metallic carpaint :p (the two bassclefs actually stand out even better than in the picture)

9. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    -random southern accent- I gotta get me summa dat.

10. kydnav

kydnav

Jun 24, 2006
    Netherlands
    Put together:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pickups are going to be replaced as soon as I have the money for it... Any suggestions on what type I should get?

11. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    That looks fantastic! You used auto paint from a spray can? What did you use for the top clear coat?

12. kydnav

kydnav

Jun 24, 2006
    Netherlands
    Nope, I got the paint from the dad of a friend of mine (works at a car workshop) and could use the spraygunthingey at school (the same that guy from the car workshop uses)...
    And I didn't do the top coat myself, the dad of that friend did it, he said it would be a waste if I made it look pretty and used the coating you can buy at shops and wanted it to have a really good coating so he offered to do it :cool:

13. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Oh . . .

I was thinking about going to an auto repainting shop like Maaco and seeing how much they'd charge me to have them do a bass in a color they are already doing a car in. Like they could hang the bass near the car and spray paint on it at the same time. I'd think it would be cheap . . .

14. kydnav

kydnav

Jun 24, 2006
    Netherlands
    Most places probably would even do it for a couple of beers :p

15. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Thas not a beast, tis is.[​IMG]

16. looks nice but I would have avoided spraying the neck pocket. But obviously it still worked for you.

thanks

17. Yell03SpecV

Yell03SpecV

Mar 22, 2006
    Chicago
    This is why everyone who does any sort of refinishing should own an HVLP gun.

With a bit more attention to detail, that would look better than OE.

Still, great job for a first-timer, and good luck in the future!

18. kydnav

kydnav

Jun 24, 2006
    Netherlands
    Yeah that's the thing I used, an HVLP gun..
    and what's OE?

19. LiquidCougar

LiquidCougar Chief of Warranty Police

Dec 25, 2006
    Warwick, RI
    Original Equipment.

20. kydnav

kydnav

Jun 24, 2006
    Netherlands
    Now that actually makes sense!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 24, 2021