1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Making a board need some advice/sources

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Kenjuku, Jun 4, 2014.

1. Kenjuku

Kenjuku

Oct 21, 2011
    NJ, Bergen County
    Hello guys, it's been a while since I last posted. (Like real long wth?!)

Anyways, I currently managed to get a job right after college (YES), and am saving up to buy the things I've been GASing for a while. One thing I decided to do was make a custom pedal board and am looking for a few things.

The things I'm adding to this board are A GT-100 or GT-10B, Peterson Classic stomp, and a 105q wah. All 3 powered by adapters seeing as getting a brick would be a bit wasteful.

1. A method or accessory of securing my in/out like a lock of sorts so that I plug my bass cable in, and then plug in another cable to my amp.

2. And just like with cables, I want to add something that would let me cleanly plug in an extension cord to the board or a good old power cable.

I'm handy with a soldering iron and woodwork but would need instructions for anything beyond a basic circuit board.

2. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    What I would do is either go with a PedalTrain or the like, maybe even one of these:

http://www.digitalaudio.com/stompblox-modular-pedalboard/

IMO, youre going a good direction when using the power supplies that came with your pedals. In that case, what I would do, what I actually do myself, is get a decent power strip, velcro it to the bottom of whatever board you get, and plug all your power supplies to your pedals into that. Preferably you want a power strip with a long chord coming off it. then you can just plug your bass into your first pedal and run the cable out of the last pedal into your amp. There are some really other fancy ways to lock your inputs into your board too. Im not too familiar with those though. For that you could go with something like this:

pcqtgzzqe56vbftrqy8p. pcqtgzzqe56vbftrqy8p.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...0@ADL4MF-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^30433825467

3. Kenjuku

Kenjuku

Oct 21, 2011
    NJ, Bergen County
    Thank you for confirming that I'm not out of my mind with what I was thinking. And thank you for the suggestion but I think I'll pass, because I'd have to make a box for the modular board you posted, and my plan is to really make something like what you posted. Only that in my case is to fit a pretty big multieffects with the 2 other things.

4. Kenjuku

Kenjuku

Oct 21, 2011
    NJ, Bergen County
    OK I found somethings on pedalboardshop (can't post links yet). Are they a reputable shop for the states?

5. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    What shops are you talking about?? Do you mean this one?:

http://pedalboardshop.com/

They seem rather reputable to me. I would totally buy from them.

6. Kenjuku

Kenjuku

Oct 21, 2011
    NJ, Bergen County
    Alright cool, will post pics in this thread or in a new one linking to this one. I currently have an ME-50, the 105q, and probably ordering or checking what guitar center has the peterson stomp this weekend

Ugh can't wait to get wood working

7. Kenjuku

Kenjuku

Oct 21, 2011
    NJ, Bergen County
  8. mad harry

mad harry

Jul 11, 2005
    A few thoughts...

Maybe run a power board underneath, cable-tie your power supplies to it, cut the plug end off and connect it up to an IEC male socket. Be careful with mains power, if you're not sure ask a sparky to do it. If your power plugs run warm, consider ventilation under the board.
    View attachment 434855 View attachment 434856
    When running leads & power to the board, right angle connectors are a good idea - save space and less likely to be kicked, and you can tape leads together and clip to the side of the board.
    right angle phono. right angle iec.
    Be careful with connector placement if your lid has sides (see pic). You can recess them, but not too much - you should be able to quickly inspect if your leads are plugged in properly.
    red.
    Which side of the board is better to connect to? (I'm always stage left, so my connectors are on the left, and my leads don't get underfoot.)