Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Making a cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Jun 8, 2003.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    ive done heaps of searches, and to no avail.

I want to know how to make a cab. Ive got 2x10 inch speakers from this:

[​IMG]

that im going to take out, and use the speakers on. As for their quality, im not sure, because amp doesnt work. So i myself dont know if they work or not.

I was wondering if any of you guys could give me a web site that tells you step by step how to make a cab. Im still not sure at the moment if this is going to work, so if you guys can gimme some feed back to weather or not this would be a good idea, that would be greatly appreciated. Aswell as some tips, pros and cons.

:D Thanks!
    -Kirbo

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
  3. Try doing a search here on talkbass. There is almost always a thread on building speaker cabinets. Have you tried Madisound.com and partsexpress.com? Another with links is audioxpress.com - they have many books on speaker design, the best of which is Vance Dickason's Loudspeaker Design Cookbook. Kinda spendy at about $35 but well worth it.

Stay Low,

BT

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Is that old amp a guitar amp or a bass amp? If it's a guitar amp, the speakers really aren't suited for bass and it would seem hardly worth the effort to build a cabinet for them.

If you insist...just use the combo cabinet and install boards where the amp used to be and put a back on it.

5. You've been on this board for 3 years, and you've never come across a speaker building thread?

You gotta be kidding! We talk about that sorta stuff a few times a week!

6. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Yeah, but they always have weird names! lol.

Its a really old bass amp BTW.

BillyB_from_LZ: That what i want to do, but doesnt the current do from the input, thruough the head, then into the speakers? thats what i need to know.

Thanks alot guys!

7. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Chances are the cab section of that old amp is the perfect size and has the perfect porting for those speakers. So build a cab that's the same dimensions, minus the amp head of course, and it should work fine.

Try THIS website for more info.

8. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Thanks! Thats what i think im going to do, but the only thing im worried about is what do i do with the electronics?! :confused:

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Again I'd replicate what's already in the cab. The speakers can only be wired up one of 2 ways, so it might be an idea to make a note of the existing wiring before you start pulling this cab appart. Maybe take a photo or even just draw yourself a diagram.

If it's a bit messy and complicated in there, we have a plan B. The speakers should have some basic specs printed on the back of the magnet, usually just the watts and ohms. Tell us your prefered final impedance and we'll telly you how to wire it up.

Then it's just a matter of getting some connectors from parts-express and soldering it. Viola.

It sounds harder than it is.......

10. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    SCHWEET!
    Thanks mate!

11. I think it'd be neat and fun as hell to make my own bass cab...

like a 1x10...that'd be awsome!

I'm too stupid too.

:bawl:

12. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Hey kirbywrx, did I say parts-express? Ignor that, I forgot you're an Aussie. I should have said Jaycar or Dick Smith :)

13. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    lol thanks again pete!