Making a cheaply-finished bass natural?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hepdood, Sep 18, 2000.

1. hepdood

May 5, 2000
    So my bass (my only bass) is a Galveston P bass, Bass-ically a fender copy, but a pretty good one tone wise. I like the range and tonality a lot better than Squiers I've played and some MIM Fenders as well. The problem is, though I like the color, the Polyeurathane finish is not at all well done, darker in some spots, very thin in others, etc. It's a factory bass. So I was wondering about changing the white pickguard to black, and sanding all the finish off to create a natural looking bass, then probably go with somekind of wax (recommend anything?) to finish it and make it smooth. I have an electric sander and grades of paper up to 400. So, can it be done? If so, should I? I'm not sure what kind of wood it is, but would the cheap whatever it's made out of look bad natural? does any wood look "bad"? Any help would be appriciated. Thanks guys
  2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    Please read my Thread : Destroying a Fender.
    Because I took off the finish.. but the wood you find beneath just SUCKS
    also there explains techniques of how to do it
  3. membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    more than likely the wood is in layers like plywood, and removing the finish would look bad. if a bass doesn't come in a natural finish option to begin with, the wood probably sucks.