Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Making a christmas List

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by johnm0187, Nov 26, 2005.

1. So I can't think of anything to get, so I decided I'd let my family invest into my effects. Currently, I have a Boss TU-2, Dunlop Bass Wah, Mini Q-tron, and a Russian Big Muff.

I can't really ask for anything too expensive because my parents are paying for my trip to Spain in February which is a Christmas present. This is my list so far:

Large Pedal Case from rondomusic
    Behringer Ultra Flanger
    Behringer Bass Chorus
    DOD 250
    DOD Octoplus
    Behringer BDI21
    (Bassballs maybe)

I play in a kinda jam bandish, alt rock band, so recommend anything affordable and cool sounding. I'm pretty much open to anything.

Thanks
    John

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    What kind of bass do you play? I don't find that the Bassballs takes too kindly to hot or active electronics.

3. I play a spector Q5 which has EMG-HZ with an active preamp and a passive Warwick Corvette Fretless. I didn't know that about the bassballs, and I'll probably mostly use the spector with it. SO i'll have to rethink about it.

4. seaKamp

seaKamp

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago
    I'd be in a jambandish type band myself(hate the term). I don't think I could live without my EBS OctaBass. It is a GREAT pedal. Even better if you have an envelope filter/follower in front of it.

I was running:

Electro-Harmonix Doctor Q. > EBS OctaBass

Easily my favorite combo of pedals. Sure a different envelope would be fine but the OctaBass is ESSENTIAL.

5. Kind of expensive, but I heard a sound clip of the DOD Octoplus in the soundclip thread, and I was impressed with the sound it had, and that's why I chose that.

I'm thinking about getting the DOD envelope filter...can never have enough filters.

6. seaKamp

seaKamp

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago
    I can't disagree with ya there. I'd still suggest the envelope > ocaver... I can't get enough of that sound. If you are a fan of Gordonesque funk you'll love the combo.

Side note: the EBS is worth it. :p

7. Well, I guess I'll love the combo. I'll probably start with the DOD and if I can scrounge enough money I may get the EBS because it sounds like one of the better octavers out there.

8. For the rondo music pedal board, what would be the pros and cons of the regular large board or the large extra wide board?

9. Classical_Thump

Classical_Thump

Jan 26, 2005
    in what context of jamming do you use envelope and octave? i have playted in jam bands and often get bored so I imagine having a nice array of effects would keep me entertained for at least a few minutes hah