1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Making a decision: Jaguar or Precision

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by socialleper, Mar 28, 2018.

1. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I'm contemplating a new bass (duh!) and am deciding between either a Fender Precision Noir Special Edition and a Troy Sanders MIJ PJ Jag. I like the aesthetic of both, and have tried the Noir but only the Squier version of the Sanders.
    On one hand a simple, true, Precision is appealing, and if I was going to own a Fender P, this is one of the only ones I like the look of. The price is pretty good, and if I have a problem with it, reselling shouldn't be an issue. The downside is that I've never owned a plain ol' P because I'm worried I'm not going to like being stuck with one tone.
    On the other, the PJ of the Squier Sanders Jag was huge, so I am guessing that the PJ on the active version is also huge. I dig Mastodon and Troy, so there is the fan-boy factor. Plus I get a P-ish tone in the bargain. However, it isn't a true P, so again, I may be missing out on pure P-ness, and I'm not sure what the nut width is on a Jag. I'd like something with a standard width (not necessarily thick profile) so I can mess with a the nut and replace it easily if necessary.
    Either will need to go to CGCF or BEAD at some point.

Thoughts? Experience?
    Both is not an option.

2. It sounds like you are weighing the differences between a standard passive P tone and an active PJ tone.

They are radically different. And your active P on the Jag will not get that classic passive split P tone, it's a whole 'nother animal.

Also, does the Jag comes with narrower Jazz width nut (1.5")?

I have an active MIJ Jag (J-J configuration) and an active P Bass Deluxe (P-J configuration), and they are both beasts. Aggressive is an understatement.

Duder and vegas532 like this.
  3. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    I agree with EC, they are completely different beast. As always it's going to come down to what kind of music you play. I have a hot rod red MIJ JJ Jag, and it's has a very in your face tone. It's a great bass for traditional three piece rock bands because it's very pronounced with the treble, bass, and tone pot options.

A good P bass will always be neutral ground. You should be able to get the tones your looking for, and even more so with a good amp. Necks are going to be polar opposites, and the active electronics may be a big plus depending on genre.

I've never had to use the active switch on my Jag.

okcrum and electracoyote like this.
  4. Yeah, they are pretty darn aggressive in passive mode. Then on steroids in active.

5. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    The Jag in passive is more aggressive than than a standard P? Do they use a different split coil pick up?
    How do you feel about the balance of a Jag? Are thet neck heavy? The Noir P had a hint if neck dive since it is a MIM with a lighter body.

6. I'm going to defer to @Raw N Low on this as well, but IMO, there is something about those MIJ Jags in passive mode that makes them sound a bit more aggressive than a standard passive P to me.

In general, I don't experience neck dive like some players. I can keep Thunderbirds and other notorious divers on my shoulder pretty well. But the Jag does have a relatively shorter upper horn, so you'd be best to strap up and check for yourself.

Raw N Low likes this.
  7. Raw N Low

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    My experience with the MIJ Jazz Jaguar is that there is alot of room on the volume and tone pots. The pickups seem to be hotter as well. The Troy Sanders Jag has a single volume and blend knob but, gets a extra kick from the active bass and treble on the top horn control. Keep in mind that the TS Jag has a noiseless single coil in the bridge so that may tame things down a bit. Given Mastodons type of music, I'd would assume it's going to be a brute. Do you have to option of playing them both? With the controls on the Jag, you most definitely will be getting more options. Some players like more, some like less.

My Jag seem to be right around 9lbs which is right in the middle for me as far as weight goes.

electracoyote likes this.
  8. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I played the P Noir. It is a P. Beyond the look, it wasn't anything beyond what one normally gets from a P. I've played the Squier version of the Sanders and was fairly impressed with it. Because of its price point and quality, it is pretty rare. The MIJ active is more common. I'd personally like a tone on the MIJ for passive, but what can you do.
    Ironically, Troy's tone both live and on CD is pretty transparent, with very little attack. It is hard to hear him some times, which goes against the build of this bass, based on what everyone has said. I like the ballsy tones of PJ basses from the 80s like Megadeth, Anthrax, and GNR. As much as I love Steve Harris and Geezer Butler, their tones aren't very useful to me, so I don't want that out of a P. What I'm trying to do it get the clear down tuned tones a lot of Doom and Stoner bands get of a P, but I have yet to figure out on a US BC Rich ST or Peavey Forum; the split coil just doesn't sound good past D. I want to nail the tone Leo Smee of Cathedral gets, so I figure I might as well try a Fender P. I was hoping the Sanders Jag would get me close, but allow me to have some additional flexibility.

Raw N Low likes this.
  9. Raw N Low

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    It really depends on what you do with the blend. With the active treble and bass boost, you should be able to accomplish this. If your hoping to slam the amp for distortion, you should be able to accomplish this. Or maybe a clean and dirty pedal mix?

10. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I have pedals for dirt.

11. socialleper

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    Do the wheels for the active EQ have a center indent, or instead of a cut\boost, it is all just boost?

12. No center detent on the wheels or knobs, passive/active switch (on off).

But mine is the first run MIJ Jaguar, same as @Raw N Low I believe. I haven't played the Troy Sanders model.

13. Raw N Low

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    Nope, no center detent. Rolled far right is turned off and far left is maxed out. Very high quality rollers that are very sensitive to adjust. Only a madman would run the active switch with the boost up.

Max bass boost = earthquakes
    Max treble boost = feel it in your nervous system.

Duder and electracoyote like this.
  14. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    The Precision Noir has already been discontinued…I'd buy it even if I could buy the Jaguar with a 20% off coupon.
    As for only one tone, $30 could easily fix that.

15. pablotries

pablotries

Feb 2, 2018
    Costa Rica
    Since you're worried about limited tones on a P I'd say go for the Jaguar. Jaguars in PJ can be a little harder to find than Ps too.

16. True. Handle with care.

My Jag is one of the only basses that had my guitar players gathered around my rig actually noticing and admiring my tone and asking me how I was getting it, lol.

17. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Get the P bass because you will want one later after having the other for awhile, reason being is the p Bass is very neutral and can be used for all kinds of music, you’ll have your basses covered with the P...and than later on you can add a J or something else...

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I like having the options of a PJ, even if I don't use the J pickup too often.

JRA, tedious1 and scuzzy like this.
  19. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    This is why god invented pedal boards.
    :)

20. codiak

codiak

Mar 16, 2017
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Don’t Jaguars have a switch to go from active to passive? I know the ones with both jazz pickups did.