making a demo easy

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by warwickben, Aug 22, 2002.

1. i have a tascam 4 track rcoreder and acide pro 3.i want to make demos of some songs.whats the best way to recored bass and guiatre. for srums i was thinking of biying just one mic and have it in the room with the drum set.i heard recordings with the drums done this way and it sounded great.
  2. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    At least three MICs for the drums. You can combine those signals with a small mixer. I like to put one on the bass drum, and one on each side of the drumkit (imbetween the floating tom and snare on one side, and on the outter edge of the floor tom on the other side). Then you watch the signals come in to the mixer, and adjust the MIC levels until they are about even. Take the output of this mixer, and send it to one channel of your four track.

All of the inexpensive four tracks I have seen only allow you to record one or two channels at a time. I suggest you record the drums first, or drums and bass first if you can.

Then record the guitar. If you have two guitars, and two inputs to your four track, you can put them both on one channel, by recording one on the L side and the other on the R side. Then you can adjust their volume in relation to eachother by panning L to R as needed.

Then record vocals last.

I suggest you get good MICs, my recording was very much improved when I bit the bullet and bought some decent MICs.

Have fun.
  3. i planed on just having the drummer pay for the mics and tell him it will sound as good as the mics.i have recored befor with it so what i do is recored the guitar and bass frist,just some thing so the drummer can play we will play as a band.then we will have the drummer listent to the tap and we will recored while hes playing to the tape then me and the guitar player redo what we did so its better. i want to know how i cant get from the tap to the pc i was just going to edit and what not useing acide cause i find it easy to do.i just dont knwo how to get it on the pc.i planed on buying the new zoom recored because it ould be wicked easy to put it on the pc.but i dont have cash to buy one.
  4. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Umm.. Okay. A bit confusing as always, Ben. Let's cut back on the soda in the morning. Like I said, good MICs make a big difference.

Bad Idea. If the drummer is recorded first you guys will have a good starting point. A solid anchor to help keep your bass and guitar together the next time around.

Again... Very confusing. Do what you like. But in my experience, and also when I paid a pro studio to record my first demo, they recorded the drums first. Give it some thought.

Okay, finally the question. Your 4 track has a output. it is probably rca connectors. You can buy an adaptor that changes stereo rca connectors to a 1/8" mono plug. Then, you will be able to connect it directly to your pc.

Now on a different note. Slow the HELL down when you type. Damn, it's annoying reading through your mistakes and crap. I honestly don't know why I replied and I am seriously thinking of just deleting them.