1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Making a Fender P-Bass Deluxe sound like an....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Justbleazy, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Justbleazy

Justbleazy

Apr 3, 2011
    Houston, TX
    MTD KZ bass or close to it. Here is a video of the tone I'm after.
    GOSPELCHOPS.COM PRESENTS: BASS SESSIONZ VOL. 1!! ON SALE NOW!! - YouTube

Skip to 3:28 (or you can enjoy the whole video) to see the tone I'm kind of after.

As of right now, I have the following:

Bass: Fender P Bass Deluxe (P/J)
    Amp: Mark Bass Mini CMD
    Pedals: Mark Bass Compressore
    Strings: Elixirs

I was able to get a nice tone through my Line 6 150 Lowdown but wanted something lighter and louder. Since my Line 6 150 colored my tone immensely, the Mark Bass provides a truely flat sound for my bass. Even though I like the "woody" old school tone, I'd prefer something a tad bit more modern and jazzy.

Earlier tonight for choir rehearsal, I was able to try out my Mark Bass Compressore and I couldn't get a tone that was nice (imo) until I completely turned down my Jazz pickup.
    Again, the tone was lovely but I found it to be "too warm" if that makes any sense.

I'm thinking new pickups vs. the stock pickups would fix this but I'm not sure which ones to get or if I actually need any.

btw.......I've been having the hardest time finding a nice setting that allows me to switch between fingerstyle and slap without having to turn knobs during a song. I'm hoping the right pickups or.....even strings can fix this.

Any help is truly appreciated!!