1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

Making a form fitting mold for flight case

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    I recently got a good deal on a flight case, but the interior is very genetic. Not form fitting to any bass. I'd like to do something a little more form fitting. Wondering what people have done in the past.

Anyone try some foam filler like this guy?

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    bholder likes this.
  3. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Ewww... you mean it's filled with someone else's DNA? :)

Companies like Anvil and Calzone will (re-)make a form-fit interior for an existing case using medium-density urethane foam covered with a wonderfully soft plush fur-type lining, based on a bunch of very specific measurements and a full-sized tracing of the outline of your instrument. The hitch is, they may not do that if they didn't supply the original case...but it's worth asking, because the results are stunningly beautiful, and much better than Pick'n'Pluck cubes or raw foam cut with an electric carving knife.

Edit: but another thing to consider is that a good case doesn't need to be 100% form-fit; it just needs to support the instrument at a few critical places, and ensure that the instrument won't move around. So perhaps you can make your generic case usable with just some strategically applied foam supports. GruvGear sells some lovely foam blocks covered with a plush fabric.

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

An odd thought, but for the past 40+ years my 1963 P has ridden in its original tan Fender case (a loose fit) with an old flannel baby blanket wrapped around it. That blanket fills some space, and treats the paint gently. If it's not too bad a fit, adding one layer of fleece or flannel might be the least expensive way to add just enough material to make it fit more snugly. Gives you a handy way to rub the bass down, too.

5. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I've seen cases for an item we are forbidden to discuss done like the link in your post. They did theirs with a piece of black plush cloth backed with cling wrap draped over the unit, then shot the box full of some kind of expanding foam and let it sit. The end result was a very good looking presentation box.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 22, 2021