making a fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JamesM, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Not sure if this goes in this thread,

but anyways, i want to create a fretless out of my old bass (Squire precision), and i was wondering what is the easiest way to pull out the frets, and which tools to use.

My band has a few songs that feel as though a fretless might give a bit more feel and warmth to the songs, my stingray isn't cuttin it. I can't afford to but another bass, so i might as well f@#k up my old bass which i never use anymore.

Any advice would be great, cheers.
  2. I was thinking the exact same thing. I have an acoustic bass, will that work?

I think the best way is to take it into the guitar shop. I know the ones near me defret pretty cheap.

3. OK, go to see in the repair and setup section.....
    There you'll find a sticky with great advice from member Hambone to do it!
    If I remember well.....

4. junerig

Sep 12, 2005
    I've defretted 2 electric basses and one acoustic myself - it's actually pretty easy if you keep in mind that you're working with wood and have a bit of patience.It can definitely be done.
    I used a hot iron to place directly on the frets (one at a time).Once the fret is hot-ish it comes out alot easier.Just used a flat screwdriver or a butter knife to gently get underneath the fret and ease it out.Make sure the wood doens't follow!Once done, fill up the slot holes with plastic wood and sand down and treat with lemon oil (the wood will need it after the sanding).
    You might also need to make the slots in the nut deeper to make up for the additional distance to the finger board.
    My acoustic has flatwounds on it - and it sounds very close to an upright!
  5. Cheers for the advice guys, hopfully, i won't screw it up.
    Catchya Laters.