Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

making a grill

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by penstock, Aug 28, 2000.

1. penstock

penstock

Aug 10, 2000
    I just bought a used amp and the guy forgot to bring the grill with him when I bought it.
    It is a cloth cover and I can go pick it up later, but I was thinking that I would make a
    sturdier one with a metal grill. Should I just get some heavy duty screen from the
    hardware store or is there anything special I should do? Or should I just save my time
    and get the old grillcloth?

2. White_Knight

White_Knight

Mar 19, 2000
    USA
    Personally, I like metal grills. You could check with a local machine or metal-working shop in town to see if they'd be able to form one with the proper size/shape for your needs. I'd go ahead and get the cloth grill though: it's free and if you using some sort of vintage amp then it would add value.

I don't think that you'd be all that pleased with heavy duty screen. If you're talking aluminium door screen then it wouldn't really be all that stiff. If you're talking hardware cloth (the stuff used to make say a compost heap or to block a vent hole from rodents) then it probably won't be stiff enough as well. That's my experience however, your local hardware stores might carry more suitable items however.