Making a Humbucker from J pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TomLeggate, Mar 27, 2004.

1. TomLeggate

Feb 21, 2004
    I have a pair of jazz pickups that I was going to add to a japanese precision bass. Originally I was going to try and place them on the body in the same places as they would be on a standard jazz bass but then I thought I could maybe place them together where the jazz bridge pickup would go. I plan to cut the removable plastic pickup covers and glue them together so that once it is finished it should look just like a humbucker. Has anyone attempted anything like this before or is it just another crazy mod? If so, how would I wire them up, in series/parallel/both?
  2. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Rio Grande sells J-Humbuckers, which are basically two J pups in a single enclosure...nothing crazy about it. For more fun, wire them to a 3-way switch so that you can go between single pup, 2 pups in series (should be very loud and midrangey) or 2 pups in parallel.
  3. dave_clark69

dave_clark69 Guest

Jan 17, 2003
    A humbucker is just two pickups together. All you need to do, is just wire the pickups in the correct order. then it is a humbucker. but you must do it in the correct way so they cancel the hum
  4. To work as humbuckers, they must be wired in series and out of phase in order to cancel hum.

Brooks was suggesting a more fun way to wire them giving more selections than just humbucking.
  5. TomLeggate

Feb 21, 2004
    Cheers that sounds like a good idea with the switch, although what way round do I wire them so they are out of phase, both black or neutral wires together?

This thread would have probably been beter in pickups, but nm. :meh:
  6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  7. sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I was going to do this to a set. If it is a normal humcancelling pair (1neck, 1bridge) and the same problem.

Easiest way would be to cut the inner ears off the pickup cover and glue them together. I would wire it with a series/parallel or even a series/parallel/single coil switch to maximize tone possibilities.
  8. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Actually they need to be in phase or they'll sound very thin and series or parallel works. What they need to be is reverse wound, reverse polarity to cancel hum. When a jazz bass has both pickups on they are wired in parallel.
  9. Something you should note is that in order to get hum canceling, you'll need to use a neck and a bridge pickup together. That might look a little weird since they are slightly different lengths. I don’t know how much the sound would be affected, if at all, if the strings were not exactly inbetween the pole pieces.