Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Making a Jazz more metal

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ghouldani, Oct 30, 2005.

1. ghouldani

ghouldani

Sep 14, 2005
    What kind of pickups would you guys reccomend to make a jazz bass thump with some more growl.

2. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Tune down a half step with the same pickups... Don't change the string gauge !!! It sounds awesome

3. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Do yourself a favor and fill out your profile. Let people know what you're playing on so when you ask for advice they have a better idea how to help you.

4. ghouldani

ghouldani

Sep 14, 2005
    uh-huh.....

5. Work on your attack and maybe try a different guage/brand of strings.

6. brothernewt

brothernewt Some people call me the stormtrooper of love...

Apr 13, 2004
    Happyrock, OR
    Leave the pickups as is and paint the rest black?

7. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    yup, leave the pups, search the string forum and work on ur picking hand technique. Different equiptment is not always the answer.

8. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Listen to a little Opeth.

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Fill out your profile so we can see what you have and have a better idea of how to help you.

When you say metal, what do you mean?

Maiden? Slayer? Pelican? Metalica? High on Fire? Torche?

10. ghouldani

ghouldani

Sep 14, 2005
    How can you not tell what metal is?
    Old Skool Metallica? Metal.
    Slayer? Metal.
    Maiden? Metal.
    High on Fire? AHAHAHAH!
    My Chemical Romance? Just...no.

A lot of the new "metal bands" get labeld so because it has a down-tuned distored guitar, double bass drums, and a heavy thumping bass. But when you start to hear the vocals and they start to rap :scowl: or go all emo :scowl: it ceases to be metal and is just music.

11. ghouldani

ghouldani

Sep 14, 2005
    I must be extremely retarded, I have looked and looked and can't find a way to edit my profile.

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Scroll to the top and go to "My Talkbass" and then to edit profile.

13. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    How would we know that you know this?

Ask most kids out there what metal is, and they'll name every Nu-metal band out there with no thought or mention of Maiden, Slayer or Megadeth.

14. ghouldani

ghouldani

Sep 14, 2005
    Sorry, I thought living in Wisconsin was as far away from reality as possible. I didn't think that ALL of today's youth went down the tubes.

15. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Unfortunately, yeah. Even big metal festivals bring along nu-metal bands to spread out the fanbase from a bunch of old people, but bring along kids who actually get out and go nuts.

Look at Ozzfest, name two bands on the 2nd stage that were actually good oldschool metal...

*Jeopardy theme*

16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    What High on Fire have you heard? They are plenty metal.

In any case, now that we can see your info we can help more.

I would say the first thing you need to do to get more thump and growl is get a real bass amp. The Crate powerblock is a sick amp, but its not enough power and is meant for guitar so its not voiced properly to get you a solid thumping bass sound.

Are you playing a standard MIM Fender Jazz, an MIA, or some other brand? That info would be nice.

17. cut the treble on your amp a little bit, and boost the mids and lows, turn the gain up to taste and use a more agressive attack, if you wish get a distortion pedal if you want more dirt

18. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    Before going the distance of changing out pickups have you tried new strings? Rotosounds would be a good way to go IMO. And some food for thought; when you and I hear our favorite head crushing band of choice (Arch Enemy is playing as I write this) it is important to remember that tone comes from your hands. We can protool a bass track to death :smug: but at the end of the day the tone is in you.
    Not to sound like an old fart but I have spent thousands trying to get "the sound" or "the tone." It took me a while to realize that It my playing that need the mods, not my bass.

19. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Any bass really is metal. I know about a band where the bass player uses a Ric.. It is a brutal death metal band. Here is a small list of things to look at if metal is what you want!!!!

1. EQ-Try cutting the bass and boosting the mids and treble
    2. Strings-Steel strings sound great for metal
    3. Attack-Someone already mentioned that how hard you hit the strings helps.
    4. Pick- Try one!!!
    5. Distortion-Alot of great metal bass players fancy the distorted bass

20. i haven't read all the posts in this thread...but...has anyone mentioned the series mod, yet?

this will definitely put mid/low BEEF in your jazzburger!