Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Making a JJ Humbucking pickup....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sheepdog, Feb 2, 2004.

1. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    What would be involved in taking a set of J pickups and putting them in a single pickup housing to make a JJ pickup (similar to Roscoe Beck, Aero, Fodera, etc...). Would I have to mount them on a single plate? Would I have to put some sort of insulator between the coils (plastic/wax...)? Seems like a fairly simple idea as long as the routes in the bass fit. A cover might be hard to find, but i know where they make wood covers that would be nice.

Ideas?

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Warwick has a Twin Jazz pickup.

Two independent single coil Jazz pups with a hum canceling
    third coil in the middle.

With the Fortress MasterMan and Streamer Pro M, there are
    independent preamps for each pup.

Available for 4's or 5's.

Cost @ $160

Example:

[​IMG]

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Schaller also makes (made?) a dual J pickup, I have one in a Kramer bass.

4. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I realize that there are pickups made like this already. If I really wanted one, Aero can custom make them. My question was the feasability of making one from a normal set of J pickups (like the Lindy Fralin 5 string single coils)

5. The difficulty of winding two single coils into one humbucker as well as the procedure necesarry would be dependant on how elaborate you want the pickup to look and function, as well as what pickups you're planning on using in the mod.

I personally would wind from scratch or buy an aftermarket pickup and save myself from a headache.

6. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    spoke with Lindy Fralin...easy to do. He says that people do this all the time (at least for a JJ Bridge pickup). I just order 2 sets: 1 wound normally and 1 wound in reverse. The pickups fit Fender Jazz pickup covers, so buy 2 of them and cut off the ears, glue them together.

7. You don't even have to order a reverse wound. Simply wire the two out of phase - No difference between that and one pup being reverse wound.

8. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    I wasn't sure what the exact phrase was, but Lindy knows what to do. Yeah, basically the 2 necks will be a humbucker and the 2 bridges will be a humbucker...out of phase, reverse, whatever you call it. As long as Lindy knows what in the heck I mean.

:bassist:

9. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've done this twice and have loved the results both times. You end up with an extremely hot pickup. Currently I've taken the Jazz single coils out of my Brice Douglas 5. I then cut all of the ears off, glued them together and wired them in series. I then put then in the neck pickup route which is a "bathtub" type route....made for a single Jazz pickup but the route has dimensions of 4X1.5". The new humbucker now sits in this route right below my custom flat pickguard. I then routed the bridge pickup area to accept a Kent Lawrence MM type pickup. I now have this jazz bass with a MM pickup at the bridge....looks like it only has one pickup. The hot Double J at the neck and under the pickguard adds much bassy punch to balance out the growl of the bridge MM humbucker. The tone is amazing. By itself the neck Double J is very bassy...almost muddy but I attribute this more to pickup position than the pickup itself.
    -Bazz-

10. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

Do you have the pickup wired in series or parallel? I heard series makes it heavier and parallel gets a more normal jazz style tone.

11. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Both times I've done this I've wired the JJ in series. Definitely a heavier, thicker tone. And yes...I'd imagine the parallel double J would get closer to a traditional jazz tone. In series...more of a P tone.

-Bazz-

12. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL

good, that is the sort of flexibility I am looking for with this pickup.

13. Rio Grande makes a bass humbucker called the Power Bucker. It looks just like 2 Jazz pups side by side. Thinking of putting one in my MIJ 57 RI Pbass with the Muy Grande P I aready have in it.

http://www.riograndepickups.com