1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

making a lightweight 5-string bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by krg, Apr 3, 2009.

1. krg

krg

Mar 20, 2009
    I play an Ibanez SR 5-string, and love the meaty sound like Dave Hope of Kansas got. However, I have back trouble, and need a lighter-weight bass. Don't want to revert to a 4-string, either.

I want to buy a short-scale 4-string with active pickups, replace the nut & bridge, and make it a 5-string. (I play with a pick, so I don't need as much string separation.)

I want to keep the meaty-sound. And I don't want to spend a lot of money.

Ideas on an inexpensive lightweight 4-string? Or ideas from anyone else who has tried to do this?

2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Wow! I've never found Ibanez SR's to be heavy! All seem very light to me! I owned a SR505 and it was very light. Any lighter then you get into high end/custom bass territory. Sadowsky's can be pretty light due to body chambering

3. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
  4. Squier Vintage Modified P bass. Very lightweight. Dave Hope usually used a Fender Precision and the VM basses are very nice for the money.

5. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I've built lightweight 34 inch scale solidbody 4 strings (5.5 lbs is my lightest, so far) but I haven't tried a building a similarly lightweight 5 string...yet.

6. krg

krg

Mar 20, 2009
    Mongo2, how did you build your 34" 5.5-lb 4-string? Ordering individual parts from a place like warmoth.com? (What was the cost?)

7. powerbass

powerbass Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2006
    western MA
    you might want to look into Rob Allen's basses or make a post on the Luthier's forum. I made my own chambered fretless bass and it weighs just a few pounds. I believe warmoth makes chambered bodies. Then you will want to use Ultralight Hipshot tuners on a compact headstock.

8. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    I just don't equate a "meaty-sound" to a short scale bass played with a pick. If you have to compromise size, you'll have to compromise something else as well