Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Making a line from guitar chords?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Desdenova, Apr 30, 2003.

1. Desdenova

Desdenova

Feb 18, 2003
    Hampton, VA
    I was just sorta tooling around trying to find something that sounded good over "Red Right Hand" by Nick Cave. It's played on an organ, but I found the organ part in guitar chords. I'm just not sure how to play it:
    Code:
       F#
    On a gathering storm comes a tall handsome man
          Em                                Bm
    In a dusty black coat with a red right hand 
    So, does that tell me <i>how much</i> of F# to play, i.e. just the root, third, and fifth, or is that something I have to figure out? I was under the impression C meant C E G, and Cmaj7 would b C E G B. Is that right, or did I misread somewhere? If I just play Em (E G B) in succession or up and down until I reach Bm it doesn't really sound right.

2. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Start with the chord tones with the root on the one, you can connect the F# chord to the Em chord using F as a chromatic passing tone or you can go scaler B C D to Em. These are just ideas, because it depends on how the melody is traveling from chord to chord and ultimately what sounds good to you and who you're playing with.

3. Generally you want to outline the triad and put emphasis on it but there is no problem with playing the B (7th) over a Cmaj chord. After you have outlined the chord throw in some scale tones to add melody and to tie it into the next chord.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have heard that song and I seem to remember it has a sort of ostinato bassline which is quite crucial to the song - a particular rhythm. Nick Cave is quite a quirky songwriter and his instrumentation and arrangments create a particular 'atmosphere'...I haven't got it on CD though, so can't go back and check - I don't necessarily trust my memory! ;)

5. I remember the bassline being a simple riff throughout the song, like most Cave songs. Something like Root-3-5-3-2 or something like that in F# or Em, never changing.

If you were going to find a new part over it the atmosphere of the song would change, you'd have to make a new version. As to what you could play, try a walking-ish bass with a little more rythm than straight fourth notes.

6. Desdenova

Desdenova

Feb 18, 2003
    Hampton, VA
    Ahh...all I could really hear on that song was the organ thundering away and the guitar playing harmony. Or I told myself that's all there was after I looked around for the bass line but all I could find were guitar chords. I didn't hear much bass in "Let Love In" until I really turned the volume up and heard that intro riff playing over and over. I know two of the bass lines to his songs, The Carny and Up Jumped the Devil, and they were pretty boring (sliding down the E string for 6 minutes wasn't really thrilling me, however important it was in the song).

I'd like to go out and actually buy one of his CDs, but I'm not sure which I should get and what I'll be able to find. There are so many CDs I want, just not enough money to buy them all =\.

7. mflaherty

mflaherty Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2001
  8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

9. mflaherty

Oct 9, 2001
    It's a twenty-four bar minor blues in Bm.

10. Well, that depends on what kind of Nick Cave you want. If you want laid back, cool Nick Cave, try the "Best of Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds" or "Murder Ballads". If you want crazy psycho rocking Nick Cave try "Live Seeds". Both are brilliant and give you a nice introduction to him, they just suit different moods.

Look him up on All Music, they have a complete listing of all his CD's along with ratings, there you can see what is videly accepted as his best work.

11. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Pardon the dumb*ss intrusion,
    isn't Nick Cave the guy my cousin Snorri [ Thors]
    brought to Iceland to play those shows recently at Broadway?

How about we ask Snorri to email him and ask HIM?
    That should define it pretty well...:p
    ---------
    Bert er brodirlaust bak ...

12. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    How do you know that just from looking at those chords?

13. mflaherty

Oct 9, 2001
    I downloaded the tune and transcribed the bassline. The link to the transcription is in my first message. You will need Finale 2003 or the free viewer to see it.

The part he posted is the last eight measures of the progression.

V///|////|iv///|////|i///|////|////|////|

14. Yup. I'm listening to the bootleg of those shows right now. :)

Ber er hver að baki nema bróður eigi.

15. Desdenova

Desdenova

Feb 18, 2003
    Hampton, VA
    Am I dumber than hell, or does Finale just hate me? Wherever I put the file it tells me I don't have any sheet music, and if I try and drag it into the explorer it brings up the save / open box. Open just erases my WinAmp playlist, and save just makes another copy of it.

16. Desdenova

Desdenova

Feb 18, 2003
    Hampton, VA
    And "The Carny" starts out F# F# B and shifts to G G B during the verse, right? I'm pretty sure of the B at the end, but I can't quite tell during the rest.

17. mflaherty

Oct 9, 2001
    Can you use this?

[​IMG]

18. Desdenova

Desdenova

Feb 18, 2003
    Hampton, VA
    Yeah, thanks. Sorry, just uh...never saw where this had been replied to