Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Making a neck?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Goretopsy, Nov 28, 2002.

1. Goretopsy

Goretopsy

Feb 19, 2002
    il
    I was wondering how to go about making a neck, because I have made already made a bass and it turned out really well using a carvin neck-thru kit, And I am intrested in making another since it was really fun and I like the ability to make my own bass to how I want, but I would like to know how to go about making my own neck for it, I know the materials to use but as of the truss rod and steel bars and all that stuff how to go about stiffining it and installation of the parts. I was hoping someone might be able to tell me someplace where I could get instructions or a diargram and hopefully I'd be able to try making one sooner or later.
    Thanks for all your time
    Ron

2. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
  3. The process and it's variations would could take up 10 forums like this so a simple answer isn't possible.

I would suggest looking at the books for sale at places like www.stewmac.com and other luthier supplies. I would also suggest browsing the Musical Instrument Makers forum at www.mimf.com . There is a veritable ton of practical information there.

4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Check out Melvyn Hiscock's "Make Your Own Electric Guitar".

Good reading, explains the process pretty well. It's a lot easier to answer more specific questions here.

JP's pages are pretty good, too.