Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Making a P deluxe passive...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spoonplug, Oct 22, 2003.

1. spoonplug

spoonplug

Jul 13, 2002
    I have a 4-string passive US hot rod P-bass that sounds Great, and a 5-string P-deluxe (9v) that just doesn't sound as "natural". I have gotten so used to playing a 5 that I usually play the Deluxe, though it just does not have that sweet passive P tone. Is it possible or advisable to wire in a passive by-pass switch or eliminate the preamp altogether in the P deluxe to more closely duplicate the passive p sound? Has anyone tried this or have a better solution to this problem? Thanks, Spoon

2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I have never done it myself, though I thought about when I had my Zone. I do know of two players in my area that converted their active basses to passive and were quite happy with the results. You might try asking in the setup or luthier areas to see how this is done. Both the players here paid an experienced luthier to perform the conversion.

Dan

:bassist:

3. spoonplug

spoonplug

Jul 13, 2002
    Thanks for your reply. My problem could be easily solved if Fender would offer a 5-string passive P-bass. I would buy it, and ride off into the sunset. The Roscoe Beck 5 is cool, but it ain't no P! Spoon