Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Making a P/P sound like a J/J?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tim__x, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    As the title says, I have a P/P bass that I love, it gives me a great warm thump.
    But sometimes I wish I could have a bit more of a J-bass sound from it. I was wondering if anyone out there has any ideas. Perhaps wiring in a series parallel switch? I'd prefer not to change the pickups if I can avoid it.

P.S. I already searched, but I didn't come up with much because of the three letter minimum. If Paul or any of the mods are reading this, I'd like to ask that you get rid of the limit.

Edit:/P.P.S. These are soapbar P's so if absolutely necessary I could replace them with J's.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    I'd go with a jazz pup at the bridge, PJ. I like both sounds too. The P will still be domineering so you're not really going to loose much of it ditching the bridge P, but the brighter J tone will compensate for the volume drop at the bridge and to me gives a lot more flexibility in tone. Keep your P neck and if you don't like the J, go back to it.

3. steviecsg

steviecsg

Aug 16, 2002
    how does the PP sound both full on and bridge soloed?

does it sound like a generic humbucker pan at center? and a musicman at bridge?

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Can you reconfigure how each pickup is wired? P pups are humbuckers with the coils wired in series.

You might want to try connecting the coils of each pickup in parallel (if you can do it). That would thin out the sound of each pickup.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE

Wait a minute, a P pup is a split single coil wired in series, not a humbucking, which is two single coils wired out of phase - yes? The split P reduces hum but is not hum cancelling.

=======================
    And sorry about the earlier post, ran through the initial thread thinking a decision was trying to be made between a PJ and JJ configuration.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The coils could remain in phase if one of the magnets is reversed...

I thought for sure that the P Bass pup is constructed that way, but it seems like some research is in order...

7. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    No I can't do that, there are only two leads coming from each p-up.
    What do you think it would sound like I wired both pickups in series (with each other that is).

Rather than describe the tone Steviecsg I'll post a sound clip (it's labeled .wav.zip, get rid of the .zip before you try to play it). The first scale in the clip is all neck p-up then both then all bridge. Oh and this is completely flat, no eq at any point.