Making a Peavey Foundation playable again.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by zenofanger, Jun 7, 2017.

1. zenofanger

zenofanger

Dec 6, 2016
    Indiana
    I have an 84' Peavey foundation with a maple neck that's in need of some repairs.

From what I can tell the neck is bowed and it's in need of some saddle screws. It still sounds great, but it's hard to play.

Any idea what the starting cost to adjust the truss rod and fix/replace the bridge, as well as where I can take it to get repaired. I thought about going to guitarcenter but I tend to shy away from big chain companies doing any kind of repair work and there aren't a lot of mom/pop guitar stores left in my area.

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

andruca and Warhawk like this.
  3. J.D. Detroit

J.D. Detroit

Nov 12, 2015
    Detroit
    ^^ What he said. Learning to do your own basic setup/adjustments is invaluable to any player.
    If you do have to take it in for something, find a reputable shop in your area. Best to avoid the other place.

Warhawk likes this.
  4. I'd use your Peavey as a learning tool. Do searches here and elsewhere. Read all you can on what you want to do. Get the proper tools (they don't have to be expensive ones) and try working on the bass a little at a time. It's really not that difficult but can be a bit scary the first time. Just go slow one job at a time. And ask here before doing anything if you have any questions.

J.D. Detroit likes this.
  5. RSBBass

RSBBass

Jun 11, 2011
    NYC
    What they all said.

6. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    '84 Foundation. Adjusting the truss rod may be interesting. It probably takes a Gibson-style truss rod wrench, but there's a catch. The nut may be too deeply recessed for a normal wrench. You may need to find a thin-walled socket and socket wrench in order to reach the truss rod nut.

On my '84, the truss rod nut is halfway between the nut and the first fret. It is way up in there, but fortunately the neck is extremely stable and doesn't need adjusted often.

Also, were it me, I'd find saddle screws that work rather than replace the bridge. Just because I like those old foundation bridges.

7. zenofanger

zenofanger

Dec 6, 2016
    Indiana
    Thanks guys.
    The info on the saddle screws a huge help and one less thing to worry about.

I actually know how to do a set up and how to adjust the truss rod. I've actually done a bit of diy stuff on the bass over the years.
    The bass has some sentamental value that's why I want to have a pro go over it. Now that I can afford it, I figure it'd be a good idea.

8. Shawn Ingram

Shawn Ingram

Aug 1, 2018
    I just bought an 87 tonight for next to nothing and it needs some help mechanically but i'm going to read and learn and do it myself! Thank you all for the info!