Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Making a Pedal Board

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Petary791, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    So if I wanted to make a pedal board, could I just get a piece of wood and "bolt" on all my pedals to it or what?

Thanks!

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    That's friggin sweet! But sadly, it doesn't answer my question lol.

3. Heckxx

Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    I don't see why not. MY pedal board is just a flat piece of wood with the pedals velcro'd to the board. It used to be duct tape even..

4. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Go to your friendly neighborhood plastics fabricator, purchase a piece of delrin (plastic) sheet stock, and ASK/HAVE THEM cut/shape it to size. I repeat, have them do the cutting/shaping.

Go to a hardware store and purchase industrial velcro with good adhesive backing (3M brand). Good stores sell it by the foot from bulk stock (Sometimes fabric/craft or even good electronics part shops have this too,) While you are at the hardware store, see if thy can sell you some 16th" thick or so foam rubber (usually comes in rolls) to glue (use spray adhesive, also from the hardware or craft store) to the bottom of the delrin pedalboard. This will keep your board from sliding around.

If you really want to use this thing, find an old brief case that the finished pedal board will fit into (pre-plan). That way you can stash your board and accessories away together. A little planning will go a long way here.

This will be a really solid base for your effects/preamps,tuner, ect.. Very low profile too.

George L's and Dimarzio make nice patch cables.

Don't try this unless you are confident working with the materials described. Glue can be toxic, and of course tools are very sharp. My disclaimer.

Bolting or duct taping your pedals down will ruin them in more ways than one.......I guess it doesn't matter if you can afford throwing your boxes away later! To each their own.

Wood boards can work to, but splinters (ouch) and might not last as long.

Or check out NYC pedalboards or analogman.com on the web. That would be best.

5. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    Almost every pedal board I've ever seen has been a piece of plywood with the pedals fastened down with velcro or brackets. Brackets are the best IMO, because they'll keep your pedals in place no matter what and they're not permanent, which means your pedals can be moved around and/or replaced. The lead guitarist in my band Lohio (who understands the concept of playing at a moderate volume, by the way :)) just found a small old suitcase in his grandma's attic and is using it for his pedal board now. It's sweet. Very convenient and has a cool vintage vibe (it's a dirty green upholstered suitcase).

6. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Brackets, yes. Absolutley will do the job well,and won't cost as much as industrial grade velcro. (Loctite 3M)

Bolts,no. I seen some boards with screws drilled through the stompboxes to fasten them to the board. Doesn't only trash the pedal, but it is potentialy dangerous. Electricity can be lethal.

7. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    +1 on the danger of bolting through the stomp boxes. I wouldn't do that, personally.

8. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    What do you all mean by brackets?

The industrial velcro- if you just mail order about 10m it'll be cheap as chips.

9. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    I recently made a pedalboard using plywood board covered with carpet glued on it. On the bottom of pedals I sticked self adhesive velcro strips (hook side). Pedals hold very well on the carpet and occasional rearanging is a breeze. Hint: buy velcro first and check if it holds on the particular carpet. Some carpets are more suitable for it than others.

10. I just built a board for my poor-ass guitarist. I made it out of a laminated particle board shelf from one of those shelving units you can buy at Wal-Mart...it was old and I wasn't using the shelf. I cut it to size, added an upper level, attached 3M velcro (also at Wal-Mart...the fabric/crafts section) and it held tight. He put it in a crappy CNB Case.

Brackets: I'm not sure what everybody here is talking about, but if you have an old bike chain (or can steal one :ninja: ), take it apart so you have a few of the 1/2 links that look like an 8. Use 2 for each pedal. If you look under the pedal, there's generally 4 screws in the corners, remove two opposing corners, attach two of the 8's with the screws, then screw down the 8's to the board with small wood screws.

You can also use small eye-screws, 1 on either side of the pedal, and nylon zip-tie them to the screws.

11. LEGEND!

I SAW THOSE FIGURE OF 8 WASHERS FOR SALE IN A GUITAR SHOP ONCE AND HAVE BEEN HUNTING FOR AGES AND NOT FINDING ANY!

A BIKE CHAIN! A BIKE CHAIN!! WHY NOT??? I LIKE THAT!

TOP TIP!

WHILE WE ARE ON PEDAL BOARDS...

I PAINTED MINE WITH BLACK BOARD PAINT, THEN YOU CAN WRITE EFFECTS SETTING / BAND NAMES / SET LISTS / WEBSITE ETC. ETC ON YOUR PEDAL BOARD AND WIPE IT OFF AFTER THE GIG.

OR YOU CAN LEAVE IT CLEAN AND IT IS A HARD WEARING MATT BLACK FINISH!

APOLOGIES FOR THE CAPS :scowl: , I ONLY JUST REMEMBERED.

12. Yup. The quickest way is to get an appropriate sized board of whatever material you choose, and cover the entire face with ozite (cab carpet covering) then stick strips of hook side velcro to the pedals. You can now place your pedals anywhere on the board, in any configuration, and change it at will with practically no effort. Pro level boards may get a little spendy on their materials, but it is essentially the same exact thing.

You don't want slivers? Ok, well if yer a bit handy with tools, get yourself some aluminum c-channel from home depot and wrap the entire edge with it. It will protect the edge of the board, neaten up the look, and make the board overall more robust. I wrap the edge with one continuous piece. Just notch the edges at 45 degrees to wrap the corners with no overlap. Short brads along the edge every 6" or so.

You can power pedals with either a BOSS pedal tuner and daisy chain, or an appropriate pedal power supply...eliminates a million wal-warts and looks more pro. Buy good quality patch cables. Pro Co are fine, George L's are better, but cost more. Make your own if you like. Buy right angle ends, and low-loss coax cable (yup, as in TV cable) and do it up. Works like a charm.

Have fun, and the end result is more satisfying than anything you buy off the shelf. I put mine in an old coleodocoscope case from my last job...looks spendy.

13. My pedalboard's just carpet glued onto a painted piece of wood. Couple of rubber feet on the bottom at the back to give a small amount of angle. Works a treat.

Only thing I wish I did was make it bigger! And maybe to make a lid to protect the FX a bit more during transport.

For the power supply, I use a Compaq laptop supply (around the size of 2 9v batteries!) with a 2.1mm DC plug soldered to the lead (-ve tip). Plugs into the wall using a common figure-8 cable. Provides a regulated 10v 1a supply, which is more than enough to have up to 9 pedals on my board running simultaneously with no issues. This goes into my Boss TU2, then out to the other pedals using a daisy-chain DC connector.

14. I've used all sorts of things for cases and now I use keyboard bags with a board cut to the right size and painted different colors (anything but black, that's so boring). I use doublesided foam mounting tape because i find it more secure, I had a velcroed pedal stolen off my board once. George L's provide all the connections, ez to use and priced right.

15. mrpc

mrpc Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Petary791, you've recieved alot of answers, ideas, and opinions here!

16. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I once saw a home made pedalbaord where all the pedals had been NAILED to a sheet of plywood. Surprisingly several of them still worked.