1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Making A Pick Sound Like Fingers... My Method.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Mar 7, 2008.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I much prefer the sound of fingerstyle, especially for the music I currently play (rockabilly). However, with certain songs I want to play much faster and I find the pick is the only way I can obtain the speed I want at this point.

I have found a way to make a regular pick sound fairly similar to fingerstyle. Granted it definitely isnt exacty the same, but its alot more like a fingerstyle sound than a typical pick sound.

Utilize a Behringer ADI21. Set the blend to maximum, bass to 9:00, the treble to 10:00, the mid to 0, and the mid freq to 10:00. This is the best 'bass pick' sound I have gotten that sounds less like a pick and more like fingerstyle. Of course, feel free to experiment with other settings, but the blend at max is crucial. I have tried to use an eq to get the same result, but you really require the blend of the ADI21 to take the edge off the tone.

I havent tried this with the sansamp para driver, so I'm not sure if it would sound better or worse. Better I'm guessing.

Anyway, works for me.:cool:

2. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I'll have to try that...

I recently bought an ADI21. Haven't plugged my bass into it but love it for electric guitar. Liked it so much I bought a second one.

Far more usable than the GDI21 or BDI21 as far as EQ voicing goes. The semi-parametric midrange section is quite nice.

3. Nick Kay

Nick Kay

Jul 26, 2007
    Toronto, Ontario
    Felt picks, dude. Does wonders.

4. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Yeah, they dont have greatest build quality but I think the tone is great. Just as good or perhaps better than the Tech 21 equivalent.

Works for me anyway!

5. ::::BASSIST::::

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have yet to try a felt pick and would love to.

However, I find with the ADI21 I can get the volume very close to match my fingerstyle. I dont know, but I have a suspicion that the felt pick would be louder than fingerstyle. I like the efficiency of just grabbing the pick and hitting the 'button' without having to do a bunch eq/volume tweaks.

As I mentioned, it doesnt exactly have the same tone as fingers, but it certainly mellows out the clank of the pick and retains the beef.

6. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I am trying to get my fingerstyle tone to match my picking tone more closely! I play mostly with a pick but lately have been working on fingerstyle, and I cant get that clean, even tone with my fingers like I can with the pick.