Making a pipe/carving.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by popinfresh, Mar 7, 2006.

1. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hey guys, a little off the bass making topic.. But I noticed a couple people have made smoking pipes in here.

Just wondering how it's done and the steps involved etc or any good sites for it.

Also, any tips on carving such things or similar would be handy.

2. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    I did mean tabacco pipe, lol..
  3. no, i got you... actually its on a list of things for me to do... i just never have time for things like that
  4. jp litch

jp litch

Dec 4, 2008
    I find it to be an excellent use of scrap wood. Next time I do some pipe making, I'll show ya how. Until then read this and this .

And also look here too:
  5. joelns

Mar 10, 2014
    I used to do this for a living. It's really nothing more than 2 holes drilled in a block of wood, which meet and terminate somewhere inside the wood. I usually start by sketching out a shape on a piece of paper then transferring that to a block of briar (with the sides squared up for the lathe chuck), making sure to note the drill lines. I then would set the block in the lathe and drill out the airway, using a bit of masking tape on the drill bit to mark the depth.

Reset the block if needed and square up the end of the shank, then drill the mortise for the stem. Followed by any lathe work that needed doing to shape the shank.

Reset the block and use an appropriate bit to drill out the bowl, starting with a pilot hole so the bit doesn't wander. Stop and check the depth often to be sure you don't overshoot the end of the airway. Once drilled, a bit of sandpaper around the finger is used to sand out the inside of the bowl. And then any lathe work is done to shape the top of the bowl if needed.

From this point, I'd drill out a piece of ebonite ride for the stem, use the lathe to trim down the tenon.

The rest of the shaping of both the stem and bowl is done (at least for me) with a sanding wheel chucked into a lathe, rasps, and files. Followed by a bunch of handsanding.