Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Making a rear grill for an amp . . .

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Sep 8, 2005.

1. This is pretty simple right? i dont see how it couldnt be, but thought i best post and find out

Got an email from ampeg and a replacement would be $35, before postage, so who knows how much more it'd be when its getting sent to the UK

Also, is there any safe way to "tap" the power from within the amp to run a couple PC style fans, or would it be best to use a completely seperate power supply ?

2. As far as powering fans, I'd connect a small "wall-wart" power supply in parallel with the power switch so the fan's power supply is completely independant of the amp's power supply.

It's theoretically possible to use the amp's power supply rails or the tube heater circuit to drive the fan...but that's a very good way to induce a heckuva lot of noise into the amp. So then extra filtering would be necessary, yuck.

I considered doing the same thing years ago when I was thinking of hot-rodding my Ampeg V4....I concluded a separate power supply was easiest.