Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Making a record Label???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Funkize you, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Hey, Does anyone here have any idea where I can get lots of information about this? Including where to get the official paper work?

Thanks!

2. I don't think there's "official paperwork" per se, but a good resource for this info you seek is the very net you're on right now.

Do a Google.

edit: I just did, first thing I got:

http://www.nzmusic.org.nz/pag.cfm?i=521

Should get you questionning yourself real quick.

3. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Well its just for fun at first, Not to make money, but yes money will be spent... Secondly I and a Friend of mine will be setting it up and we are both pretty good buisness men, So that part dosent worry me.

4. Yes, it's a fun experiment...but incredibly diminishing returns.

As long as you have no delusions, I can't see the harm.

Is this more of an attempt to make a project appear more legitimate for the purpose of booking clout? Or are you actually going to sign artists?

My guitar player and I (not as much) used to run a quasi-label.
    The artists handled their expenses, and were under a "label umbrella" you know, more artists=more legit, right? But this was during the years immediately preceding the internet, when gothies and the like used to pass around friendbooks and the like and send them across country or intercontinent.

A nice little underground way of spreading the seed.
    You know, tape swaps and ****.

Something like this could be effective in the effort of doing bookings and showcases, but there's still a ton of work involved...But I'm sure this is obvious.

Ron

5. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Yah, its mostly for fun but we would sign bands we like... Me and all my friends arent just some guys that have guitars and stuff... Were music Majors. Like I've played flute for 14 years know so we understand music pretty well. We like to play Progressive kinda Stuff Like Dream Theater, Pain of Salvation, Some Frank Zappa, King Crimson, Virgil Donati and stuff like that...

But my friend (Steven) is also a buisness Major, and my other Friend (Tyler) has a Father involved in Nation Security, So he can write increadible Contracts and Forms that Sound Perfect.

Honestly Its just for fun, but we do plan on signing some bands that we are interested in. And Honestly we dont plan to MAKE money, but we do plan to put as much as we can into this little experiment! :hyper:

Sounds like so much fun!

6. Sounds cool. Please don't take anything I've said in any way as a question of your abilities. Not that you let on that you did....

Just lookin out for people is all. Best of luck in your endeavor.

Ron

7. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Thanks!

I know its gonna be hard, Time Consuming, Frustrating and Constant headache's but I like that kinda work! I do best when I dont think I can handle it... Dont know why but I guess it keeps me on my toes.

Thanks again Ron! Ill let you know how it turns out!