Making a rosewood fretboard look like maple?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by b525, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Inactive

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    No kidding! I wish someone had told me. :bawl:

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

GAK!

That's all I got.

3. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    In keeping with the festival of "NO," it wouldn't take long for the strings to wear through the paint, then it will look worser and worser.

4. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    wha

5. Bleach.

6. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    From a woodworking standpoint, you could use certain bleaches and dye's to lighten the board, but that would be about it. Got to side with just about everyone else, just... no

7. aquateen

aquateen

Apr 14, 2005
    maryland
    I have basses with rosewood, ebony, maple and bubinga fingerboards. it's hard to tell the difference between any of them while playing.

Camaro and Thisguy like this.
  8. thebassbuilder

thebassbuilder

Mar 7, 2012
    Spartanburg SC
    guitar builder, Meyers Guitars
    No to the maple effect but yes to the ebony effect. Just go to StewMac and they have an ebony fingerboard stain you can get. It is just a wipes on with a cloth and that is it. Go for it and let us see what it looks like. Just make sure you tape everything off, so you do not get it on anything else or you could have a big mess.

9. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex

Dec 29, 2011
    Down South
    this ranks as the oddest post I've ever seen!

Can't be done - it's either rosewood or maple

10. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    It sounds like re-dying a shirt instead of just changing it. A lot of work with dubious results. If you're really that broke and your bass sounds that bad, you're in deep mud brother ! :dead:

11. RedHotFuzz

RedHotFuzz

Mar 16, 2014
    I agree. I think the tonal effect of fingerboard wood on an amplified electric instrument is more myth than reality. I'll never buy into it.

12. b525

b525

Nov 16, 2013
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Uh.... I didn't expect so many replies! :wideyed:

Well... my first bass has a rosewood fb. Then over the course of several years of obtaining other basses (all of them with rosewood) I decided to get one with a maple fb! You know, shake things up a little. I thought "Hey maple fretboards look awesome". And boy, when that bass arrived, even with proper setup and some new light gauge strings, it played like crap. I tried to be rational and tolerant, trying other basses with maple fretboards in different shops around town, during the past few years.

Nope. Not one of them even feels right to me. It's not just my bass at home. Guess maple... just ain't my thing.
    I'd describe maple fingerboards as.... dry? I don't know the exact word to describe it. Maybe it's the lack of open grains that makes it feel...wrong.
    And so after all that, went back to my first bass. A squier, of all things. After all the upgrades/mods, still gigging it to this day. It's pretty much what I use 80% of the time.

That's a possible idea, too much work though probably. Also, aren't rosewood necks really heavy? Might be wrong.
    All the maple fb basses I've heard or tried sound pretty bright to me. Listen to Marcus Miller.

Thank god, someone who agrees!
    White wood with rosewood warmth? This would be a viable solution. Brilliant idea. I'm no wood expert though. How similar is wenge to rosewood anyways? I know warwick uses them as necks, not fretboards, in some of their basses.

Nah, I'm just trying to please myself ;)

Thanks for your input! And thank you again for joining the NO bandwagon! :laugh:

Well I use light gauge strings. Like .095-.035 level of lightness. I feel the wood on my fingers, I got thick sausage fingers. Plus I play fretless too.... I always feel the wood of the fretboard.
    I can tell the difference between RW and maple by feel alone. It's the grains, really... Don't know about the others. Not really common where I live... :p
    Lol... I'm actually flattered. But hey, can't a man dream? :hyper:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  13. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Inactive

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    I agree. TOO much hoo-doo-voo-doo in that subject. MOST can't even tell you what bass is on a given recording. There are volumes of posts with more answers as to "this bass was used" or "that bass was used".

Many people here are convinced that a foam mute and tapewounds will sound like a double bass - whatever!

Then the pickup shoot outs...

And pick guard ramblings...

On and on...

Endless dribble.

Go Practice!

14. -Asdfgh-

-Asdfgh-

Apr 13, 2010
    UK
    Yes, everyone knows it is scale length that is important.

15. Do you know where to get one of these? I can't find one anywhere.

16. clive shakedown

clive shakedown

Dec 6, 2013
    U.K.
    if you removed the frets, you could then do a pretty good job of painting and fake graining the fretboard.
    some of the old "staining and graining" effects are fantastic and you wouldn't know the difference between the fake and the real.
    problem is, you couldn't do it with the frets in and why would you anyway?
    my old decorating teacher from the early 70's used to show us his graining samples, he could even do birdseye maple, amazing man.

17. jd56hawk

jd56hawk Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Well, you can paint maple, maybe you can paint rosewood...after experimenting on pieces of rosewood, of course.

xdwf4j.jpg

18. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    I would imagine that Warmoth could probably do you one.

19. I looked there. The only options for boards on a rosewood neck are unfinished woods like Rosewood, ebony, bubinga, etc. No maple. :(

20. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    Try emailing them. With all of the other options that they have available I can't see why they wouldn't do it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021