Making a rosewood fretboard look like maple?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by b525, Apr 15, 2014.

1. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Not true. I play a Maple Fingerboard, and I do VERY well.

2. warrplayer

warrplayer

Apr 16, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    Causation or Correlation, my friend? Perhaps were you a rosewood player, you'd not even have time to contribute to the thread due to the unrelenting female attention. ;)

3. king_biscuit

king_biscuit

May 21, 2006
    US
    Witness that!

4. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    My five string has a rosewood, and I notice a major valley when I play that on certain songs. All of a sudden, they are noticing the lead guitar player. Luckily, I only bring it out once a night.

5. warrplayer

warrplayer

Apr 16, 2008
    Charlotte, NC
    Good enough for me. I'm only gigging with maple next time. Oh, how does birds eye factor in?

6. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I don't know. Never tried it.

7. I play a rosewood neck and I get boobies flashed at me from time to time. Hmmm.... maybe it's my fantastic good looks....... Nope , old , bald and grey. Maybe it's my dynamic personality on stage.... Nope , the lead singer cover all that stuff. No doubt about it then , it's the rosewood neck.:bassist:

8. Neener

Neener Grumpy Old Dog

Feb 25, 2007
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    Michael Jackson asked a similar question once....

9. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Ellicott City, MD
    Endorsing: Spector Bass Guitars
    Dyed/tinted epoxy (or painted to your preference + clear epoxy top coat) works great. I'm not sure how worth it would be to do a fretted neck simply because (to do it right) you'd have to defret/refret everything, but for a fretless you could pull it off pretty easily and it'll sound quite good. Thin the epoxy to work it, and you can wet sand the dried epoxy to dull down the shiny if desired.

10. richhansen

richhansen

Oct 2, 2006
    Utah
    Endorser of the KSM Foundation Bridge.
    Since you like the look of the maple (birdseye or flamed makes an incredible looking neck and fingerboard btw), but prefer the sound of an unfinished neck, just go with a maple neck and fingerboard that has tung oil on it as opposed to the polyurethane or lacquer. It's the poly that has a lot to do with the extra brightness of a maple fingerboard.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 1, 2021