1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Making a "set neck" bass with bolt-on parts?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by SanDiegoHarry, Apr 10, 2009.

1. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Have any of you tried it / Done it?

Is it worth the hassle? I've always thought that a set-neck was more or less like a glued bolt-on... But I'm sure there' more to it than that, right?

thx

2. Monkey

Monkey

Mar 8, 2000
    Ohio, USA
    I tried it, and it worked..... for about three years.

I built a Tele-style guitar for my bandleader. It had a poplar body with bloodwood top, and I designed it as a bolt-on. As I got farther into the build, I decided I wanted a more elegant heel, and decided to just glue the neck on. I put small nails in the body that went into the neck to help provide side-to-side rigidity. It worked great for a long time, and the customer was very happy. After about three years, it fell over and the neck snapped off exactly at the glue joint; no damage to the body or neck. I glued it on again, but put three screws permanently in the back so it wouldn't happen again.

I think if I had designed it as a set neck with a dovetail, it would not have snapped.

3. Maybe it is better to have the neck come loose at the glue joint instead of breaking the neck. I have one bass that I put epoxy at the joint and then screwed it together with the normal screws and plate. I think the tone improved. I was in the process of refinishing the bass after 10 years of service and the neck came off fairly easily. I will probably re-epoxy it when going back together.