Making a solid body into a string through

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by handlax14, Mar 1, 2003.

1. handlax14

Aug 13, 2002
    hey all,

im just wondering if there is anything i should know about this customization before undergoing it. thanx a lot and any advice is welcomed.

2. handlax14

Aug 13, 2002
    it cant be simply as easy as drilling holes in the right place can it?
  3. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    What are you doing it for? From what I have heard, it doesn't really add anything to the sound or playability. If you are doing it just for the heck of it, check out the Musical Instrument Makers Forum. It shouldn’t be too difficult but I wouldn't attempt it without researching it thoroughly and practicing on some scrap. Good luck.
  4. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Well, you need to use some ferrules, and your bridge needs to have a design that is amenable to it, but it just might be as easy as drilling the holes and putting the ferrules in.
  5. you will need to drill 2 different gauges most of the time.

First drill out a hole completly through the bass. I like to go from the back to the front, in case there is any wood splintering its covered by the bridge.

Your second hole is the diameter of the outer edge of the feruel, so that it countersinks into the body.

If you really spend the time needed to line everything up right its very easy.

Remember to cross hair your holes, there is usually very little room for error .