Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Making a strap longer?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Jun 10, 2003.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Is there any way tp make a guitar strap longer? Ive made it as long as possible, and its pretty much still around my nipples. I cant afford to go and buy another one, so i want to know how i can sling my bass around my knees pretty much. I know it isnt the best for you back having it down that low, but i jsut want toplay around a bit.

Is there any way to make a strap longer whilst at its full extent?

2. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

You *want* to sling it around your knees? How will you play? Is it really important that you look a certain way vs. comfort of playing?

Anyway...There should be a number of straps available for bass from places like Guitar Center or Sam Ash or whatnot that should suit your needs.

3. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    To be honest with you its just for one song in front of a few people at school, we're ripping off our rival local band :D

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Use an old belt, a couple nuts/bolts, washers and lots of duct tape.

Attach the belt to the end of the strap and push bolts through the belt and strap and tighten on the bolts with washers and nuts to fasten them together.

Wrap with lots of duct tape to make sure it wont tear and to take the strain of the small points the bolts are actually holding the two.

Peace
    Thor

5. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    String...tie the string around the strap button and lace the other end to the last notch or the whole for the strap button.

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I refered to my book of unwritten rules and Number 435 states that "There is nothing that can not be fixed with Gaffa Tape"......

7. i just made a strap outta two cheap belts. i cut the buckle end off of one of them, and fastenbed that cut end to the buckle end of the other one. then i just cut some space in the holes in the two ends of the belts for strap buttons.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Jeez, pay six bucks at a GC for an Ernie Ball strap. If you need longer than one of THOSE, you're playing the bass on the floor.

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    For all the "Jeez" and gusto in this post, remember this - CG is a natiave animal of the USA. We don't have those here. We also have a different exchange rate so $6 for a strap is awfully cheap.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Whoops, forgot Kirby was in Australia. My bad. :oops: Well, then, just seek out Ernie Ball straps...