Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

making a strap, what materials

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by clanner, Sep 30, 2005.

1. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    Hi,I plan to make several 6-8 inch wide custome strap out of heavy black canvas, is this a good material choice as good quality leather is expensive? I wan't to know how the canvas would hold up to wear and tear, I have several combat jackets made of a lighter verrsion and was just wondering about how the cnavas would hold up to the strap pegs if sewn on in an overlapping way (basically a fold)

the strp will have several pockets for picks (rarely used but always handy) pockets for tuners and other things aswell as pockets for whatever else I can think of.

if anyone could recommenb a stringer fabric please reply, and I would prefer not to is nylon.

2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Sounds cool, but are you sure the canvas will give the same effect as quality leather (expensive, and hard to work with I think)? You don't want a strap that slides over your shoulder right ;)

3. Duck Tape, Lots and lots and LOTS of Duck Tape, Trust me, It will work. :D

4. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    I'm pretty sure the canvas will work well and I move around and jump so if it's able to move a little it isn't really a problem.

I'm also pretty sure that the canvas will hold, (my jacket goes through hell sometimes) and leather is just to freekin expensive,

the strap will most likely be non-adjustable so I won't have the temptation there. making one for me, maybe one for each of our guitarists.

5. Six-Eight inches wide is AWFULLY wide. More than likely wider than one shoulder.

If you want to use cloth I would recommend using webbing, sort of like what an equipment belt is made of. I would also heartily recommend sewing leather onto the end of the strap for the strap peg or straplock to attach onto. Cloth WILL rip.

Leather isn't all that expensive if you head over to Goodwill and pick up a couple of belts for $3 a piece.

6. xxajr8xx

xxajr8xx

Aug 31, 2005
    westbrook,CT
    ya i made mine out of duck tape and it works really well its about the width of a normal strip of it maby a little more idk but ya alot cheper than buying one

7. I use broken cinches and latigo. Latigo is quite strong, it keeps saddles on horses until it breaks after years of use and abuse. Believe me a 1200 pound horse can put a lot more strain on a piece of leather than a 10 pound bass does.

BTW, the name of the tape is "Duct Tape" because it was used for taping together ducts. It is not used for taping together waterfowl. However, it is part of my emergency repair kit for backcountry skiing and search and rescue.

8. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I call duct tape Mach tape.

The story is you can duct tape ANYTHING to a jet fighter, take it up to Mach speed and it will hold.

I'm sure it's just a sea story.

Equipment webbing or canvas will probably make good straps but damn the abrasion of those materials on your skin.

9. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

But then a company came along and sold it under the
    brand name 'Duck Tape', complicating the issue for all
    but the cognoscenti, like you and I.

+++++++

Salvation Army leather sounds like a good source.
    6-8" is too wide and will cut into your neck, stay at 4"
    or below.

10. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    When I was going to school I worked at a company that made slings for lifting, rigging, etc.

I had to do some repair and maintenance on one of the big industrial sewing machines, so I figured I might as well test it doing something useful. I cut a scrap length (a couple feet long; I'd measured another strap that was a good length for me) of thick nylon webbing used for making stonehandling slings. It had a cotton facing woven into one side; in a sling, this side would be against the stone surface and protect the webbing from abrasion. The webbing was 4 inches wide and IIRC had a breaking strength of at least 28000 pounds.

I took a couple scrap pieces of thick leather, cut them into somewhat triangular shapes to serve as the ends of the strap, and stitched them onto the webbing. I cut a hole and slot on each one for the strap button, stenciled my name on the webbing, and I ended up with a really unusual strap!