making a tone pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by newyorkiddo, Dec 30, 2014.

  1. newyorkiddo

    newyorkiddo I'm actually a cat.

    Jul 10, 2013
    I have this idea of making a pedal that will take me from tone all the way down to all the way up. I play with my tone all the way down usually, and this pedal will be used to give me the ability to give myself a tone boost in a second, since I don't have much time between parts to change my tone knob, and since I can't do it fast enough with a switch on my bass. So how can I build this? I was thinking a push button switch wired to a pot that's turned up all the way, but is that how it would be done? I'm also not sure how to wire a push button switch, so anything would help. I also would like a led but that's optional
  2. gregmon79

    gregmon79 Supporting Member

    Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Have you ever given thought to a treble booster?? VFE has a pedal called the Focus I think. Its a boost that has an EQ on it. That may get you what you want.....
  3. jez79


    May 2, 2004
    With the tone up (trebly) you're basically getting a naked signal. All frequencies leave the bass from your pickups.
    Passive tone control is a high cut circuit in most cases.

    Roll the tone down and you're removing frequencies that would be there otherwise.

    You could not do as you suggest, have a footpedal tone knob to re-introduce the high frequencies, because you removed them at your bass.
    The reverse would work, have your bass with an open trebly tone, and use a passive tone circuit in a footpedal to get that bassy 'tone down' sound

    I would suggest installing small switch on your bass that bypasses the tone knob on your bass. Bypass tone knob = open (trebly) tone knob, so set it to tone down and bypass for instant tone up
    triviani likes this.
  4. newyorkiddo

    newyorkiddo I'm actually a cat.

    Jul 10, 2013
    I've tried the switch. Worked like a charm, but not as quick change as I would like it to be.
    But, if I have the tone all the way up on my bass, I could make a pedal where it would cut out the tone? That would work for me as well.
  5. jez79


    May 2, 2004
    I think it would
    You wouldnt even 'need' the knob if you don't plan to change the setting, just a cap and resistor. Search for passive tone circuit bass
  6. neuman


    Mar 24, 2009
    Riga, Latvia


    May 4, 2006
    Courtenay, BC, Canada
    I don't understand how rolling your tone knob with your pinky wouldn't work for this. Not trying to poop in your cornflakes, whatever floats your boat, I just don't see why you would need a pedal make completely rolled off to wide open knob adjustments. Good luck in your search.
    gregmon79 likes this.
  8. just get an eq pedal, adjust it to your normal rolled off tone with your bass control trebled up, then when you need the boost, kick off the eq, instant wide open tone.
  9. IncX


    Jul 23, 2007
    EHX mole acts like a tone filter of some sort