Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Making a Warmoth Bass modelled after this Hotwire Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mz91, Sep 9, 2003.

1. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    I am looking into ordering parts from Warmoth here to europe to make a copy of this Hotwire Jazz bass. I really like the look of this bass and thats basically all im trying to recreate. I am not sure which woods i should choose that would come closest to this. The pictures on the warmoth site dont really give a clear picture of what the woods look like. Anyone with experience on this (nino brown) could you please suggest the wood combination you would choose to recreate that look.
    Im also pretty sure i am going to put in a Aguilar OBP-1 pre in there...What pickups would you choose. I am guessing the hard woods will make the bass bright. I would really like a fat, warm type tone. Anyways, any input is appreciated. thanks.
    Mike:bassist:[​IMG]

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Well it looks like you would want the Deluxe 5 Jazz body, alder, with a figured top. Don't know what the top on the Hotwire is, it doesn't look like anything I've seen from Warmoth. It looks kind of like a quilt maple, but with only half the board quilted.

I think you could get the all flame maple neck from Warmoth. Either that or a plain maple neck with flame fretboard and headstock veneer.

I don't think the cavity that Warmoth does will allow you to do that knob arrangement- I don't think it extends far enough towards the neck. But you should be able to do something close if you order it with the rear-routed cavity, but no holes drilled.

3. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Yea, i figured that with the knob arrangement. But that doesnt really bother me. The most important thing to capture is that color it has going. I really like it. It just seems kinda like the bass was carved out of one piece of wood :D .

4. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    I think we'd call that a "wild" maple top, which is our classification for figure that's not really flame or quilt. We have quite a bit of it, but each piece is different, so it'll be tricky to get a close match. Hold on to that picture, though, and we can have a look at it when we pull a top for you.

Ironically, we can do just the opposite of what pilotjones suggested about the neck. We can do a flame maple neck, but not a flame maple fingerboard. We could do the whole thing in a very nice birdseye, if you prefer, but we just don't wind up with decent flame fingerboards because of the way we buy and process wood.

I think that there's enough room in our rear-routed cavity to do controls like that. The J-styled basses we do have an elongated triangular rout that accomodates placement of the vintage controls in stock locations, and the top knob on the hotwire looks about where the first volume would be on a vintage Jbass.

5. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    oh wow thats gorgeous!!! best of luck on your project

6. I know it's a case of each to his/her own, but I think that knob layout is a bit odd. It would look much nicer and cleaner with concentric bass/treble, maybe even concentric mid and blend.

Good luck though

7. mz91

mz91

Apr 19, 2002
    Zug, Switzerland
    Yea, the knobs dont do it for me. Thats why i wouldnt mind having them in the conventional jazz form. :bassist: