1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Making a warmoth bass, need help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Evil Undead, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I'm wanting to build a warmoth bass, but have gotten stuck.

I want to put musicman stingray electronics in it, but no idea what is in a stingray. What pickup, and what preamp do I use? And also, what size and type jack?

I don't even know what size to have the hole made for the output jack.

Any advice?

2. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    Get a music man s.u.b. try that for a while.Take some time and see what goes into a mm style bass do a litte reaserch google will help

3. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I'm going for a short scale, so I'm building the bass from scratch (well, parts). With my own choice of woods and parts :)

4. dude go with the seymour duncan MM bass pickups and preamp

5. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    There are several aftermarket preamps and pickups that will work well for a Stingray clone.

6. Look at Nordstand for pickup and/or John East for a pre amp.

This thread has all the information you'll ever want to know as well - Music Man sound and pickups.

7. Splods

Splods

Oct 7, 2012
    Adelaide, SA
    If you are tighter for money, Wilkinson pickups are good, and Bass Mods preamps are solid.

8. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011

Okay, I'll be "that guy"

Why do you want to put MusicMan Stingray electronics in it if you have no idea what is in a Stingray?

It can't be because you want it to sound like a Stingray, because A) you're building it out of Warmoth parts, not Stingray parts; and B) you're making it a short scale, not a long scale like a Stingray.

9. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    Here's a pic of a 32" scale lakland decade knockoff project.Have you settled on a body shape ?

10. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    cool bass ^^^

11. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    I have 2 Warmoth 32" with Warheads both have a mm pickup The J has a Bart and I just popped in a OLP p/u I scored from one of the lads here into the single cut . both are passive and both get into that "rayish vibe but they have their own thing going too. If you want to get very close some of the suggestions above with the current available mm pups and active pres will get you there . Have fun with the build !

12. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    I knew someone would ask!

I like the sound of the stingray electronics (I'm one of those people that believes in the electronics and pickup placement being 95% of the sound, which I know is subjective, yadda yadda)

And multiple injuries to my hands and wrists mean that I prefer the comfort of a short scale.

I know it won't sound exactly like a stingray, but the right electronics will get me close to it.

There you go :)

13. Evil Undead

Evil Undead

Oct 31, 2009
    That's a cool bass.

No, not quite. It will be one of the short scale bodies that warmoth offers, probably the double cut with the longish horns

14. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I dropped a SD SR5 pickup in an SX and it doesn't sound like a SR. It doesn't sound bad, but in a blind listening test you're not going to guess SR.

I've had ans still have project basses, so I'm not trying to talk you out of it, but the sound is more than the electronics.

15. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

Real Ernie Ball MM Stingrays use a proprietary pickup and electronics. That said, lots of companies build copies of their most desirable pickups and preamps; nordstrand comes to mind.

16. Wish Warmoth offered this body shape.

17. That's a personal preference. Everyone has their preference.

I think barrel jacks look best on most basses. The downside is that they are not as dependable as open-frame panel-mount jacks. Football jack plates work on MM-ish things. I wouldn't use a Les Paul style plate, or a Tele cup, as the aesthetic doesn't work well.

18. fretno

fretno Supporting Member

May 10, 2009
    Los Angeles
    electrosocket

sc2-1.

19. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw

Then you know to place the pickup at the proper position relative to the string length since it will be different for the short scale than it is for a long scale.

20. topcat2069

topcat2069

Dec 2, 2007
    Palm Springs

Attached Files: