Making Active Humbuckers

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pinkfloydkixass, Sep 24, 2005.

1. pinkfloydkixass

pinkfloydkixass Guest

Sep 24, 2005
    hey i'm gonna be building my own bass soon. i'm making everything from scratch (except the neck which i'm getting from warmoth.) i want to make some active humbuckers. does anyone know how many times i should wind them? or where i could get some info on wiring them?
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004

I've personally never ran across any information on builing active pickups myself. Active pickups have an internal preamp and are epoxy potted and not a home project from what I can tell.

Even passive pups cannot be made for the price and quality they can be purchased used in excellent condition, or really even new for that matter. You have to make a winder, have a working knowledge base, the components are not cheap, sometimes hard to get, and need to be purchased in relative bulk quantities. Cab and combo amp manufacturers purchase their speakers from Eminence for a similar reason.

There may be someone still doing it on TB that started winding their own passive pups but I haven't seen a related post in a while so I assume they've abandoned it.

Perhaps this will stir one of them to post.
  3. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    +1 with everything he said.

Also, the reason pickup manufacturers like EMG, Bart, and SD are even around is because they tried countless times to make their pickups sound great and it took years to do so. You're going to be doing all this work yourself and you don't want to add pickup manufacturing to it unless you know exactly what you're doing.

Trying to make a pickup from scratch will most likely make the bass sound pretty horrible no matter who built it.

My 2-cent opinion, of course.