1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Making amends with an old band member

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by oniman7, Mar 5, 2013.

1. So some of you read an old thread I posted about incredibly drama with a band member's girlfriend that ended up breaking the band up (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f67/bizznitches-crazy-what-do-882679/index3.html I recommend a high tolerance for crazy before reading).

The guitarist and I went to the same high school ( I graduated last year ) and our last show was the battle of the bands there. ) and it got me thinking. I really miss the band. With the exception of the singer in that last link we all got along great. They were my closest friends and we spent more time (40-50 hours a week) on the band and with each other than any other time. The drummer and I went to shows together, built isolation booths for vocals, all kinds of things.

I've been thinking a lot on what went wrong. Coming from the drummer, a lot of things happened that are unacceptable.

But after almost a year of thinking, I've come to accept that maybe my role in it was a catalyst. Shortly before all this the singer and I were having a lot of fights that resulted in him being voted out of the band. The drummer got caught in the middle and we both sort of coerced him to take a side in fights and give us an opinion instead of opting out. I see that the more he pushed him, the stronger his involvement became.

After that, I called him on a lot of the stupid things that were being said and every time they got crazier. I went way farther than I would have and even if I had a point to push some of the things, I pushed them way farther than I should have or he was ready for ( insinuating his girlfriend could be cheating on him or was a pathological liar didn't help ) and I think I'd like to open a line of conversation with him.

I have some things to apologize for and I think he does too but I'm thinking about trying to find a way to talk to him (he's got me blocked on Facebook and probably my number). The truth of the matter is I've been thinking on a lot of things lately. I realized that for the first time in a while I'm doing music for money and not for enjoyment. I realize that I've never cared about any musical pursuit as much as that band or never connected with any members on that level. I don't feel like I can let that go without trying to fix my part in it. I've seen crazier things happen than two friends fix their mistakes after a year. But I don't know if I have faith that it could happen.

Am I crazy to try?

2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    Leave it alone dude. I remember that thread, and there's way too much crazy in that guys life. Drummers aren't that hard to find.

3. Violen

Violen Instructor in the Vance/Rabbath Method Banned

Apr 19, 2004
    Kansas City Metro Area
    Endorsing Artist: Conklin Guitars (Basses)
    There is nothing wrong with apologizing. There is nothing wrong with being friends and hanging out.

I would suggest value your friendship and leave music out of it.

4. Just curious, why do you think the two are mutually exclusive?

5. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Mar 20, 2011
    Spokane, Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    They aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, but they sometimes can be. My first band was with my best friend in high school. Then life happened, and we spent the next 30 years geographically separated. I retired from the military, and eventually moved close to the place where my friend lives -- in part, to do music with him again.

Experience in two subsequent bands taught us that we do not work well together in the same band. In a band setting, things about him drive me crazy, and things about me drive him crazy. So we gave up on trying to make a band work and instead maintain our friendship. There's nothing stopping us from occasionally jamming, but I value our friendship too much to risk sacrificing it for another attempt at a band.

6. Stone Soup

Stone Soup

Dec 3, 2012
    Take the crazy girlfriend to Castillo De San Marcos and hope she accidentally falls from the bastion into the moat. ;)

7. EddiePlaysBass

EddiePlaysBass

Feb 26, 2009
    Belgium
    Time has a way of sugarcoating the memories you have. I have been thinking of restarting my former band, because the hang was fun and the occasional gigs we had were fun, too.

Then I stop a second and think of all the things which bugged me then, and I know they will not change this time. So I'd rather keep the fond memories ...

8. TinIndian

TinIndian

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    If it were me, I'd try to reach out and make ammends. If he accepts great, if not then you will have to move on. I assume the crazy one is still in his life so I would stay clear of any band situation with him. You've already lived that so what would make you think it would be any different going forward?

Good drummers are easy to find. Grab the guitarist's, get a drummer and search out another singer. Life is too short to deal with a bunch of nonsense like your previous experience.

9. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I think the laws of averages would dictate that there are a certain number of people in the world who are supposed to hate your guts......

Don't mess with the universe.

10. IMHO, we'd all get along a lot better if we could do more of two things: apologizing and forgiving. Both take courage, and I applaud you for wanting to make amends.

BUT don't do it for any other reason than, in your gut you know it's the right thing to do. Don't do it to try to get a band back together, restart a friendship or anything else. Don't even expect to be forgiven.

I won't say you're crazy to try what you want to do, but I will say it sounds kinda clingy. You're young and it's a big world with a lot of musicians you've never met. Apologizing is a good idea. Apologizing and then moving on may be a better idea.

Good luck, whatever you do.

11. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Mar 20, 2011
    Spokane, Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    +1