Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

making an acoustic bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by happy_knappy, Feb 5, 2002.

1. happy_knappy

happy_knappy

Jan 30, 2002
    this might sound dumb, but i was wondering
    IS IT POSSIBLE TO MAKE A ACOUSTIC BASS OUT OFF AN ACOUSTIC GUITAR?
    i mean like putting the 5 bass strings into the guitar and having an acoustic bass

2. I kinda doubt it would sound very good if that is all you did. The size of the body and the length of the neck are totally different. The size of the body is what creates the amplified sound. It would be like playing a kids acoustic bass. If you were to put a new neck on it, you might get better results, but, personally, I wouldn't do it. Just buy an acoustic bass.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

When I was 15 and had no bass of my own, I did this. I found a cheapo classical guitar in the dumpster, defretted it, and then used the heaviest green weedeater line I could find for strings. It was OK considering it was the only bass that I had, but all it was good for was practicing by myself.

As ChaosGwar said, the scale length is too short for the bass to sound decent. And if you use regular steel bass strings, the tension will bow the neck and possibly do permanent damage to it. And the volume will be so low that it will be worthless except for playing by yourself. If you have a guitar that you are throwing away, go for it. But if the guitar is in good shape, just use it for a guitar.

4. Yea I doubt at all that it would work. The size of the body is definatly different, an Acoustic Bass Body is about twice the size of a regular acoustic guitar. I also agree about the string tension being too much for the guitar neck, as well as the scale being way too small.