1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Making an ATK100 sound good

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thelimey, Oct 23, 2010.

1. thelimey

thelimey

Oct 18, 2009
    I had a Ibanez ATK 100 (no preamp) which I could never get a good tone out of. It was just kind of 'meh' which I took partly to be because of the basswood body.
    Has anyone tried using external premaps, changing pickups to get a better tone? I heard that Stingrays (which the ATK is modelled on) sound like crap without the preamp.

2. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    It's not that so much as the pickup's different from other ATKs. It only looks the same.

Ir's a very stripped-down version with practically nothing in common with other ATKs except the superficial appearance.

3. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    Best tip to make your bass sound good: hand it over to a good player :smug:. Not saying anything about your skills though :bag:

4. thelimey

thelimey

Oct 18, 2009
    Actualyl L.Donnie I own a lot of good basses which sound great (customized 92' Longhorn Jazz + 51 Reissue P-bass, Vintage Yamaha owned by Chuck Rainey), I bought the ATK because it was cheap and looked interesting. There's a reason basswood is often used on cheap instruments, it's crap.
    Bongo - I heard of people swapping the pickup in the ATK10 for a Duncan Musicman type, any idea if that gets it to something workable?

5. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Waste of money, particularly if you believe basswood basses are "crap." Why bother?

Sell it, move on. ATK100s typically go for US$100-US$150 where I live. Not worth modding, if anything ever is.

6. You cant account the basswood body to its crap tone considering Musicman Bongo's are made of basswood and the new SB14s which just about anybody here would agree either hardly sound like crap,and the effect on its tone is so minimal it would matter if it was made of bubinga. There'd be no correlation between the ATK sounding bad passive and a MM sounding bad passive because they have two different electronics. Replace the pickup,or sell the bass.

7. thelimey

thelimey

Oct 18, 2009
    I sold the bass a year ago (as a part exchange for a Precision) but the shop still has it:) I'd just started thinking whether a pickup change and/or a pre-amp whether it could sound more Stringray like.
    I'd owned a Stringray 5 at one point which I sold due $ issues and was trying to find a cheaper replacement.
    I was aware the Bongos were made of basswood but though it may been be a more select or seasoned variety.

8. Basswood is basswood,and inexpensive soft wood, no matter how you look at it. Select basswood is like select box wine. I've never had a problem with it,and it's not a bad wood,but it's no Koa.