1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Making an Electric Upright

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Bunan, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Bunan

Bunan

May 27, 2016
    Moscow, Russia
    So I understand that what I am proposing here is not 100% the same thing as creating an EUB but I hope someone can help me out.
    I have a DEAN EAB that is fretless and has tapewounds on it. It has a very mwah tone that to me resembles an upright. I got it a couple years back because I couldn't afford a true upright.
    What I want to do to it now is mount it on a stand of some sort. Something like the DEAN pace has.
    I am looking for suggestions.
    My knowledge on mounting this to a stand is limited but I think I can buy a tripod, perhaps one used to hold a drum, and screw it in where the bottom strap button is now. I also considered a very long endpin or monopole like stand and then just leaning it against me. The other option would be severely modifying it by attaching an EUB stand to it by drilling holes in the back.
    People who own EUBs can you post a photo of how it connects to the stand?
    If anyone has any thoughts on this please let me know.

2. Matthijs

Matthijs

Jul 3, 2006
    Amsterdam
    I think the fingerboard radius and neck shape of a acoustic bassguitar do not work very well playing vertical. At least not in a way a double bass should be played, which is a big part of the sound. So rigging a stand for this bass will only be for looks, not playability. Whatever you do: make sure you can go back to playing it horizontaly. The EUB endpin stands I know of would all need major holes in the body. With an ABG I doubt the back of the body is strong enough to support something like that. Reïnforcing it will compromise the acoustic properties of the body. You could try to find a way to clamp or tie a stick lengthwise to the back of the ABG body. That way you can try the playability for yourself.