Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

making an sg bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Philbo, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Philbo

Philbo

Jan 11, 2005
    NY
    Instead of buying an epiphone eb-3, I'm thinking of buying a SG guitar body, and making it into a bass. I'll buy a cheap bass with a solid neck, and put all of the components and the neck onto the sg body. If I move the bridge to the very end of the guitar body, carve out bigger pickup holes, and cover all the original work with a pick guard, then i could see a very stylish bass in which i'll be very proud of.
    I was thinking a body like this :
    http://www.mvn.net/mgkdragn/bodysg1969.JPG
    and a bass like this :
    http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/51/519243.jpg

let me know if you see any problems i might be facing in the future with this project.

philbo

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    You might save a lot of time and energy if you just get an SG bass body like this one. You can choose your pickup routes, bridge holes, etc.

3. Philbo

Philbo

Jan 11, 2005
    NY
    i guess i forgot to mention that i'm very squeezed with the money i could use on this project. If i get a body from warmoth, then i have to get it painted and finished. It would come out to be more for the body than for the epiphone eb-3. thats why i was thinking of using a cheap sg guitar body

4. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Your bridge has to be in a specific spot for proper tuning, depending on the scale length.

5. Philbo

Philbo

Jan 11, 2005
    NY
    the scale i'm using is 34 inches, and i have other basses to help me with the measurements.

6. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Best make sure the neck will fit in the neck gap, too.

7. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Boy have you been bitten by the bass building bug!

Good job Phil! Have fun! Go over to the luthier forums. There is a ton of information there.

8. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

You might be better off just buying a body blank from Gallery Hardwoods. A swamp ash is about $60 I think (could be wrong). You could design it anyway you want without bastardizing another body. If you read enough threads, you'll realize that it would be easier to start from scratch rather than trying to build a Franken-guitarabasso-thingy.

My $0.02. But what the hell do I know. I'm just your uncle.

9. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    [​IMG]

Warmoth SG body: $159.00
    USACG Neck on Ebay, with tuners: $78
    Gonna finish it with Birchwood Casey Tru Oil, like the P on the right. Costs about $7.00 a bottle. One bottle seems like enough for one bass body.

EDIT: Rerouting everything, buying a bunch of cheap **** and not being satisfied at the end costs money too. Take it slow, have fun and buy one piece at a time.