Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Making an XLR to 1/8" cable, HOW?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by jamminji, Apr 5, 2002.

1. jamminji

jamminji

Mar 22, 2002
    Hi everyone, I am making a cable to go from my XLR balanced line out (DI) out of my amp to the line in (1/8") of my computer. My Question Is... There are 3 pins on th XLR connector (mic type connector) and only 2 pins on the 1/8" jack. Which pin of the XLR goes to the tip and which gopes to the sleeve. And Also what do I do with the third pin on the XLR?

Thanks all

jam

2. The two are, unfortunately, incompatible - the XLR out of your DI will fry the line-in on your computer, unless you get an impedence mathcing adapter.

What I would suggest doing is heading down to your local RadioShack, and grab one each of these:

CAT.# 910-5535 - XLR (Male) ---> RCA (Female) adaptor - $9.99 USD
    CAT.# 274-378 - RCA (Female) ---> 1/8" (Male) - $2.99 USD

Plug the XLR--->RCA adaptor into the output of your DI, run an RCA cable from the adaptor to the RCA--->1/8", then plug that into your computer...

I've never tried this but it should work...

3. jamminji

jamminji

Mar 22, 2002
    Thanks, That is what I thought. I went and bought a transformer/adapter (XLR to 1/4" impeadance matching) at radio shack and paired it with a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter and it works GREAT! One odd thing, When I have the pre EQ button pushed in on the amp I get VERY low signal to the computer, but when I set it to post EQ I get a great signal that I have to tun down on the XLR balance knob on the amp... But it works, and I want to have the EQ anyway.

Jam

4. You're probably getting instrument level when you go pre-EQ. Maybe. Can't tell, you don't have your profile filled out.

5. jamminji

jamminji

Mar 22, 2002
    Sorry I did not see that part of the the profile... This is my rig...

Gallien-Krueger 2000rb, Peavey 4-10TX, Peavey Black Widow 15", Accoustic Folded Horn 18", '75 Fender Jazz, DOD Bass30 effects pedal.

I was just curious becasue with post EQ it works great. I just figured that the EQ is boosting the signal.

jam