1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Making an XLR to 1/8" cable, HOW?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by jamminji, Apr 5, 2002.

1. jamminji

jamminji

Mar 22, 2002
    Hi everyone, I am making a cable to go from my XLR balanced line out (DI) out of my amp to the line in (1/8") of my computer. My Question Is... There are 3 pins on th XLR connector (mic type connector) and only 2 pins on the 1/8" jack. Which pin of the XLR goes to the tip and which gopes to the sleeve. And Also what do I do with the third pin on the XLR?

Thanks all

jam

2. The two are, unfortunately, incompatible - the XLR out of your DI will fry the line-in on your computer, unless you get an impedence mathcing adapter.

What I would suggest doing is heading down to your local RadioShack, and grab one each of these:

CAT.# 910-5535 - XLR (Male) ---> RCA (Female) adaptor - $9.99 USD
    CAT.# 274-378 - RCA (Female) ---> 1/8" (Male) - $2.99 USD

Plug the XLR--->RCA adaptor into the output of your DI, run an RCA cable from the adaptor to the RCA--->1/8", then plug that into your computer...

I've never tried this but it should work...

3. jamminji

jamminji

Mar 22, 2002
    Thanks, That is what I thought. I went and bought a transformer/adapter (XLR to 1/4" impeadance matching) at radio shack and paired it with a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter and it works GREAT! One odd thing, When I have the pre EQ button pushed in on the amp I get VERY low signal to the computer, but when I set it to post EQ I get a great signal that I have to tun down on the XLR balance knob on the amp... But it works, and I want to have the EQ anyway.

Jam

4. You're probably getting instrument level when you go pre-EQ. Maybe. Can't tell, you don't have your profile filled out.

5. jamminji

jamminji

Mar 22, 2002
    Sorry I did not see that part of the the profile... This is my rig...

Gallien-Krueger 2000rb, Peavey 4-10TX, Peavey Black Widow 15", Accoustic Folded Horn 18", '75 Fender Jazz, DOD Bass30 effects pedal.

I was just curious becasue with post EQ it works great. I just figured that the EQ is boosting the signal.

jam