Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

making bass have a lower deeper tone..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xtbs7645x, Jan 26, 2006.

1. xtbs7645x

xtbs7645x

Dec 9, 2005
    yeah im pretty new to bass playing, but umm what should i do to make it sound deeper and less "high pitched i guess haha". cause in like most song the bass always has such a deep sound, mines to bright i guess. is there anything i can do to my amp? or should i just by diffrent strings?

2. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    Without knowing your setup, it's impossible to make meaningful recommendations - what's your setup?

3. xtbs7645x

xtbs7645x

Dec 9, 2005
    nothing special, a squier p-bass special and 120 watt behringer combo amp "yeah its a litte more then i need".

4. turning down the tone knob on the bass will make it sound less bright. You could also turn down the treble on the amp. You could turn the bass knob on the amp up, but that will not get rid of the bright sound, just add more low sound to it, and the amp probably can't handle a lot of bass anyway.

5. xtbs7645x

xtbs7645x

Dec 9, 2005
    hey thanks, that actually worked somewhat, would buying hevay strings really make a big diffrence?

6. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    I'm assuming you've got the BX1200? I had one for about two years and found the tone to be too bright in general and I did the things that the other poster mentioned - turned the treble/mid down to about 1/4 and the bass/mid-bass up to about 2/3. That'll help some but you're still somewhat limited by a single 12" speaker.

7. xtbs7645x

xtbs7645x

Dec 9, 2005
    thanks that helped actually :) im still messing with it, but yeah sounds much better.

8. I started out 4 years ago on sunday,with a 15 watt generic brand amp and matching p-bass ripoff,deepest tone I've been able to find until it starts rumbling,I got the BX1200 in November,and I love the tone,but I like a lot of variety in my tone,I range from punchy,treblely, to straight up bass.