Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Making Custom Knobs

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Aug 18, 2003.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Ive really been intrigued latley buy custom knobs.

Ive seen spalted this and flammed that and it has really impressed me, but how on earth do you make them? I supose it would be a difficult activity. Is it done on a lathe or what?
    Thanks!
    -Kirbo

2. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I made two sets before I decided to just let the experts make them...

Here is how I did it: I turned some 1" walnut stock on a lathe to round the material. Then I drilled the 1/4" hole for the pot. Then I drilled the hole in the side for the set screw. Instead of just going to home depot and buying set screws I made my own. I took automotive brake line and threaded it and then inserted it into the knobs at which point i inserted the set screw.

All was well until I put them on the bass and realised that I drilled the hole off center so the knob turned kind of on its axis instead of just turning in a cirlce.

I'm sure that I could easily fix that but making these things is VERY time consuming. I mean, VERY VERY time consuming, well, for the novice knob maker anyway.

SOme day I may try again.

3. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Here are my walnut knobs...

4. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Here are the oak knobs.
    I had the oak laying around so i used it...

5. I agree that making your own wood knobs is quite time consuming. On the other hand, the ones I have seen for sale are also quite expensive.

Those knobs look great Don. Too bad about being off centre.

Geoff

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Thanks Geoff ! I'll probably try again- I just got some very nice Tulipwood stock.

This time I'll make sure my v blocks are set up properly !

7. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    That's very pretty work, Donz.

I really like your idea with the brake tubing. In fact I like it so much that I'd like to try my hand at it.

If you dont mind sharing, what size brake line and tap did you use?

I no longer have a wood lathe but I'm sure that a drill press could be used.

Pkr2

8. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Thanks...I used 1/8" steel brake lines but I do not remember the tap size offhand. I'll check when i get to the shop and let u know.