1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Making custom pedal board.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Kenjuku, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Kenjuku

Kenjuku

Oct 21, 2011
    NJ, Bergen County
    Well to keep the story short. I needed a pedal board that
    had a unique size, it all seem to fit inside this one sax case my band's vocalist had given me. I took it home took out the felt and tried to take off the hardware I wasn't gonna use and broke it. <.<

R.I.P

And thus in comes the wood.

[​IMG]

The design was to have an inner board size of 36 in. X 14 in. Seeing as I wanna fit a GT-100/GT-10B, 2 105Q crybabys, peterson classic stomp, and A hot hand. Granted I'm still GASing for some of these but hopefully soon ;)

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

So the idea I'm going for is to make a detachable top pedal board, that doesn't involve me having to take a pedal board out of a box. So I'm combining both the box and the board itself into hopefully one neat project.

I will keep updating as I make progress. This is day 2's pictures. If anyone wants a shot and my chicken scratch plans let me know. Day 1 really consisted of getting the wood and having it cut.

BTW: home depot sucks major **** cutting straight lines. But I have to deal with it since my saw can't handle some of the sizes I wrote out.

Either way I'm happy with how's it's comin along seeing as it's my first wood project.

EDIT: Yeah fixed the first post I'm kinda new to the whole forum thing.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    mad harry likes this.
  2. mad harry

mad harry

Jul 11, 2005
    Yeah I've had that problem with getting board cut right, they're not really set up for super accurate work, they just rough cut stuff expecting the customer will fine trim it. Sucks when you don't have the tools. Still, it's looking pretty good so far. Keep posting shots of your progress.

3. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    With so many options from different pedal board makers - some will do custom - it seems like you should be able to get one made that would work for you.

4. Kenjuku

Kenjuku

Oct 21, 2011
    NJ, Bergen County
    Will do^_^ currently planning on sanding down the imperfection when I get back from work. I'll post up the other shots when I have a chance.

Yeah for an arm and a leg XD Seriously I'd be like $400 deep if I went with the custom stuff online. Im currently under $100 still :)

5. EoganDubh

EoganDubh

Apr 3, 2014
    Harrisburg PA
    Nice! Looks good so far! I just built a board and had to deal with HD myself, but luckily I had all the stuff I needed at home to make the cuts, etc. They *DID* have some nice flame maple in the hardwood area (purely by accident, I'm sure) so that made me feel a little better about my experience. Looking forward to seeing your project progress!

6. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I understand it pricy, but don't those homemade boards get pretty heavy? I guess I'm lucky that my pedal needs fit nicely on a Pedaltrain Nano.

7. Mine is light as, nothing like as fancy as OP's but solid two teirs on two runners, all 12mm ply with 8 screws. I defy anyone to fail to execute with a handsaw and drill.

8. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    I really, really wish there was a good way to get a custom board that was stupid expensive.

Can't wait to see how this turns out!!

9. Kenjuku

Kenjuku

Oct 21, 2011
    NJ, Bergen County
    Would be awsome. And to me 1/2 inch plywood really doesn't make it very heavy. let me revise the first post with some more of the pictures.

You'll make me blush lol.

Here is what I did after the pictures. Unfortunatly nothing much got done today (worked a few extra hours).

Basically sealed up the edges with some wood glue and managed to borrow a grinder to even out the cuts so the two pieces fit well before I get them wrapped.

But the really good news is~~~

The hardware came in the mail! Unfortunately you guys won't see them in their full glory until after I wrap the whole thing in speaker carpet.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
  10. Kenjuku

Kenjuku

Oct 21, 2011
    NJ, Bergen County
    Don't know the rules for double posting so yeah edited original post and added a slight update.

11. Kenjuku

Kenjuku

Oct 21, 2011
    NJ, Bergen County
    Got a few materials, so should get more pictures up in the next couple of days. Anyone knows where I can buy speaker carpet online for the US?