1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Making drum tracks

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Bachh, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Bachh

Bachh

Apr 8, 2014
    I'm recently just getting into the whole producing aspect of things, mainly going solo because I find it hard to properly translate my ideas into written music for musicians to play, specifically drums.

I find myself awkwardly banging on tables and making grotesque sounds with my mouth to translate a drum line that I hear so crystal clear in my head.

So what is the best way to this digitally?
    would buying a midi keyboard with pads solve the issue or should I buy a drum pad or a drum machine?
    not really into the techy side of things so any further explanation would be awesome!

2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Buy any MIDI controller and grab a copy of a drum VST that you like. I use Toontrack's Superior Drummer 2.0, andthere are a ton of others out there to try. You can even do it without a controller and just draw them in on most DAWs. I don't recommend that approach as it's very tedious, but it can be done.

3. dave_p

dave_p

Dec 20, 2005
    CT
    You don't even need a controller. In your DAW of choice load an empty midi track and assign it ti a drum vst of choice. Then lay out the beats in the midi editor. Get a good 4 or 8 bar groove down. Then copy it, and change something in it from the first one. Glue the two together. copy that, paste it and change something in it slightly, add a fill whatever. Glue the two together. Copy that....etc. In a few minutes you will have a decent drum track with variation that can seem artificially human and not too programmed.

devntran likes this.
  4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    That or

Beatbox to midi
    Ableton
    Drumagog Drumagog 5 : Drumagog Home
    And Melodyn

Normally
    Start a loop, tap the bass drum where you want it, as it loops tap the snare, then hi-hat, ..