1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Making home made 1x10/12. Any ideas?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BackstagePlus, Jan 20, 2012.

1. BackstagePlus

BackstagePlus

Jan 20, 2012
    In My House
    I'm considering on making a custom bass cab, with a 10" speaker and a 12". I have been fed up with my combo Peavey 112 as I've heard it will only be loud enough to be heard when pushed really hard, something that I don't like to to to my equipment (People aren't the only things that suffer from stress) and although it won't be ready for my first rehearsal. I was considering making it out of 3/4" plywood, painting it black (tolex is too common, looking for something different) and making the face(front panel) red with a black metal grill on the front. I have never done this before and if anyone has ideas to make it better feel free to add your 2 cents, and if it seems like it will have me pulling my hair out of my head, please talk me out of it. As for a head, my dad has an old 200 watt Marshall major guitar head he doesn't use anymore (His Fender M80 pro is his rig now) If this is a bad idea, again feel free to talk me out of it. Thanks

2. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    If you wanting to make i 112 cab that will kick Butt Then Check this out fEARful™ enclosures for bass/drums/keys There is a lot more to building a cab then just making a box and putting some speakers in it and expecting it to sound good. I do wish you all the best though!! :)

3. BackstagePlus

BackstagePlus

Jan 20, 2012
    In My House
    Sorry, I forgot to mention that both the 10 and 12 may be going in the cab.

4. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Hummm Well I am not sure that is a wise idea mixing them 2 speakers in that same cab...the chances of it sound and working good are slim at best:scowl: I will say this though a fEARful 12/6 cab will get as loud as a 410 bass cab and will not fart out on a low B.. It is not your everyday 112 cab!! I would definitively suggest doing alot more research before you decide to build a cab from scratch!!

5. That makes the idea even worse

6. Sorry, but so far, this doesn't sound like a well researched project. :bag:

7. Keano

Keano

Dec 14, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Yeah, cabs are designed in a specific way/dimensions for a good reason. Just slapping a box with 10" and 12" holes isn't going to work.

8. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I've recently built up a small rig out of an Eminence S2010. I'm thrilled with the sound. The specs for the speaker are here: http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Basslite_S2012.pdf. You can find Eminence's recommended cabs for it here: http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Basslite_S2012_cab.pdf

This wouldn't compete with a fEarful, but it's significantly less expensive, easier to make and will handle a lot of the power of the Marshall Major. Two of the "Medium" cabs would handle everything the Major could dish out. The S2012 works well in a small cab and it sounds very, very nice.

KO

9. HertzWhenIPlay

HertzWhenIPlay

Jan 15, 2011
    I like things that go BOOM
    using a ten and a twelve in the same enclosure could work if the the enclosure was designed specifically for those speakers.

10. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I agree with the posters that just stuffing a 10 and a 12 into a box is sub-optimal. I stand by my recommendation of building two of Eminence's medium vented cabs for the S2012. BLTSound has the S2012 for $125 each (BassLite S2012) and they're a very nice speaker. It won't get you into the realm of a fEarFul 12 or 2x12, but you aren't hitting the cabs with that kind of power, either. These are quite nice.

KO

11. BackstagePlus

BackstagePlus

Jan 20, 2012
    In My House
    Evidently I am going against odds here, so I guess a 2x10 will have to do...

12. Bredian

Bredian

Apr 22, 2011
  13. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    You'd really want the speakers in separate sub-enclosures within the cab and there's no good reason to do it. The 10 wouldn't add much to the mix and would fail faster than the 12. A pair of the same speakers is better. If you want something to extend the high end you'd want a mid or a tweeter (somehow in a sub-enclosure) and a crossover. A 10+12 makes little sense except perhaps for a marketer.

KO

14. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    +1

Like i said before You really should do some research. You were asking us to talk you out of it if it was a bad idea. Well if you are just putting any old speaker into a box with out it being designed for it then yes it is a bad idea and you are just wasting your time and money!! Check out fEARfuls...if those are to much $$$ for you then by all means check out Eminence Or BFM they have done all the research for you and will give you all you need to build a great cab!!

15. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
  16. BackstagePlus

BackstagePlus

Jan 20, 2012
    In My House
    Guess I'll never find a use for those speakers, a 2x10 or 2x12 will be my only options, and I'll have to save up for that, onto the next half of my question, is using a guitar head for a passive bass a good idea, or will it be just as bad of a train wreck as a 10 and a 12 inch in the same case?

17. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    You know that if you build a cab using the say the Eminence 3012lf driver a cab with just one of them 12's speakers will do just about as much as a commercial made cab with 212 due to the fact that them xmax on the is about double that of most 12's speakers. like i said a cab with one of them in it will just about do what most 410 cabs will do and weigh less then half. So dont think that you have to have a cab with 212s just because your 112 peavey can not cut it. there are 12's and then there ARE Super 12's!! And the Eminence 3012LF driver Is a Super 12!!

18. The Marshall amp should be fine for bass application. The eq freq's may not be ideal for bass but you can always address that w/an eq pedal or the like if you find it an issue.

The 3012LF is a great speaker but it does lack in the mids/highs, ergo (partly) why there's a dedicated mid driver in the 12/6 fEARFUL.

The 2 S2012s in the recommended Eminence medium ported cab suggestions are spot on. Beta 12As are good, too, and cheaper if you're on a budget. I've had very good results w/the DeltaLite 2512-IIs as well.

19. kraigo

kraigo

Jun 21, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    What can you tell us about the 12" and 10"? If you know the make and model perhaps we can find the T/S parameters for them. I like having a lot of cabs around. I use 1x10's a lot and I could definitely find a use for a 1x12. You could even use the two cabs together if you were careful. But in order to get good results it's best to have an idea what you are working with.

KO

Added: If you have the speaker cab they came out of we can at least get the port and cab dimensions and move forward.