1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Making It"...Should I Even Try???

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassGod, Mar 28, 2004.

1. Keep playing, it's about being seen. Some bands are just seen right off the bat (Smashing Pumpkins), some bands slug it out for years (Everclear, Goo Goo Dolls).

You need to stay in school for every reason that common sense can tell you. What school is also really good for is a built in network to get people to shows. The best way to get people to shows is word of mouth of a common social group- with school it shoves everyone together, and it's a lot easier to let people know when and where you're playing.

To quote Schwinn:

"You've got a lot of years ahead, enjoy the ride."

PS. Don't cover the theme song to the TV show "Makin' It" by the guy from the Dr. Pepper commercials and "American Werewolf In London." Bad song, bad show.

2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Go to school anyways; bands come and go. What are you going to do when your band eventually breaks up? (and it will, eventually; trust me)

3. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    No doubt your bands will break up, espically when the members are 14 years old. Eventually everyone's musical tastes will branch apart. One of the biggest reasons for bands to break up is musical differences.

4. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    I was in a Speed Metal band when I was 14 for 6months in the late 80's and we got a record deal with Metal Blade after 6 shows and we went into the studio and 2 months later we broke up.

Moral of the story, you need to put time into the band before you start exploring labels. Not to mention it was a pain in the ass getting out of the contract.

5. You have ages to go before you need to worry about "making it". You have options, for all you know you could "make it" in another area other than music. Ive just started a three year university course that aims to create the most radical artists ever, artists are poor, radical people are normally crazy, so im going to be an insane and poor bassist, sweeeeeeet!!!!! I love it, now only if I can mutate into a mexican and gain 200pounds...

6. So... you wish to be a crazy 300 lb Mexican with flourishes of artistic brilliance and no money?

...I guess... whatever works for ya, brother! :p

7. Old Skull?

8. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    With all due respect, I've been in this business for a lot of years and I'm curious as to what kind of deal you were offered. A "record deal" usually involves some original material. I'm assuming that we're talking about the same thing.?

I'm also curious about a contract that is binding when one of the parties is a 14 year old kid.

Harrell S.

9. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    It's not who you know...It's who knows you.

I know a lot of people...but they don't know me...doesn't do me a lot of good now, does it?

It's one thing to dream, it's quite another to be delusional.

Get back to us after you've done 300 gigs (which would be a normal schedule for a professional, unsigned band...over the course of 3 years at 100 gigs a year)...and then tell us whether you feel discouraged or not.

Years ago, I travelled all over the country playing 4 or 5 nights a week, for years and years (that's 200-250 gigs a year). I never made it. It didn't discourage me as I love playing music. I never made it big...and it's no big deal that I didn't either.

10. BertBert

BertBert

Nov 9, 2002
    Indianapolis
    This thread reminds me of an episode of "Americal Idol" last year when the judges took questions from the crowd. One person asked Randy Jackson if there was one piece of advice he could give to someone thinking of trying to break into the music industry, what would it be? Randy said, "Quit while you're ahead."

Some advice: Don't get ahead of yourself, and make sure you are playing music for the love of playing music and not for a record contract. I think you have to love playing just for the sake of playing, for the "love of the game" and not for the potential record deals and tours and such, before anything that you now consider "success" is going to be remotely satisfying.

More advice: What we're all saying about getting a good education is not BS. Chances are, if you're a good musician you are also pretty intelligent. Put that intellect to work by learning as much as you can in school and going to college to get a good degree. Then you can support your bass playing habit as much as you want, record contract or no.

I've been playing for 15 years and play in a great band in Indianapolis right now. All of us in the band have good day jobs, loving families, and all this great stuff that makes our lives well-rounded. I'm not saying I would turn down a lucrative record deal if it came my way, but I am saying I am happy with my life as is, which is worth a lot.

But do keep dreaming big. It's nice to have something to work for.

PS: Hey hyperlitem -- nice to see a fellow Indianapolis resident around here.

11. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Thanks for all of the advice guys...

1. I'm gonna stay in school and go to university for sure, no matter what. I was gonna do that anyway, school's important to me.

2. I play music because I love it, not cause I'm a poser who only plays bass to be in a band. I said this in one of my previous posts, where I elaborated on this point, as well as listing the instruments I play. Music is probably the single most important thing in my life right now, and I'm sure it will be in the future. Contract or not, I will continue music... what else can I say? I just love it. :)

3. I also think it's good to have a dream, because it gives you something to work for, as BertBert said in the previous post. That said, I'm going to start thinking less ahead of myself, and not get my hopes up high, and then be upset when I realize I didn't 'make it'. I am afraid of what some people have said, saying my band WILL break up. This scares me, because I have known the guitarist for my entire life, and I wouldn't want any bad blood between us.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the advice, it really helped. :) :)

~Graeme

12. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    No - don't try, give up now while you still have the chance ;)
    But seriously, making it is all subjective. Sounds like you want to be a rockstar on MTV to me, some folks are happy just not having a "day job".

13. Perfect-Tommy

Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    Ohio
    Was someone talking about me???

:D

14. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Well, the odds are, if it's your first band and you are relatively young...this band WILL break up, or at the very least change dramatically.

It's just the natural course of things. Musicians progress at different rates and as such, one of you will grow tired with those that can't keep up and will move on to better things. Or one or more of you will develop different musical tastes as you grow older...in fact that is a given. As each of you grows older your priorities with your lives will change as well (jobs, hobbies, girlfriends, wives, babies, other responsibilities, etc.).

It's not unlike your first girl/boy friend. Very few people spend the rest of their lives with their "first." Don't worry about the eventuality of it, but rather make the most of what you have at the moment...if this band doesn't last, at least it will not be because you didn't try.

Good luck to you!!!

15. BertBert

BertBert

Nov 9, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Just a note -- not all bands break up on a bad note (so to speak). The band I was in previously broke up because the singer/guitarist's mother became really sick and he needed to take the time to spend with her. (That sounds like a bad note, but actually she's doing very well these days.) Sometimes people move away -- in particular some high school bands break up when the members go off to college. It's just the natural result of people's lives moving in different directions. And actually this can be good -- playing with the same group your whole life has a tendency to get you into a rut.